Default Was this a Virgin or a Layer?

A queen got thrown out the saloon doors this afternoon. She was still alive, but barely. Not sure if she was an egg layer who took a break or a new swarm cell queen. Can you tell how old they are by looking?

Close up of carmel-colored queen

Bees hoisting her off the landing pad

Note: I installed caged queen 4 days ago so they may have fought. My caged queen is striped and marked.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

Next time you wonder if the queen was a virgin, or a mated queen...check the spermatheca. Do this by removing the last couple sebments of the queen's abdomen. Squish this against your thumbnail, forcing out the contents. A tiny sphere will appear. Virgin queens have a clear spermatheca, while mated queens have a milky colored one.

Of course...you have to kill the queen to know for sure. But, since your queen was dead anyway...

Are you sure this was a queen? The picture is not real clear, but to me it looks like a drone being drag out.:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Korny's Korner View Post
    Are you sure this was a queen? The picture is not real clear, but to me it looks like a drone being drag out.:confused:
    Yes. The eyes are small, the abdomen pointed and the color is different; my drones big, black fat boys.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

Default Photo of Spermatheca

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Next time you wonder if the queen was a virgin, or a mated queen...check the spermatheca.
    Thanks, Michael! I still had the dead queen so I did what you said. She was definitely mated. Here's the picture of the milky, white spermatheca.

I also noticed a rough place on her thorax (here's the photo), and I wonder if this was my caged queen and the bees tore the paint marking off, leaving the rough place. However, I thought my caged queen was lighter colored with stronger banding and a little smaller than this one. I'll check later today.

Fascinating!
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

That bald spot is normal on queens.

http://www.roctronics.com/BEEQUEEN.JPG

Thanks so much for posting the pictures and sharing the discussion. To view and to learn is so wonderful, ty again...