Thread: Mean Bees

Angry Mean Bees

:mad:About a week ago i split up my 2 year old hive because they were just way to agressive. I got 2 nwo carni queens from tim at honey run apiaries. the splits went fine and the two nucs have taken the new queens and are doing very well.
    Well about 3 days later a friend of mine called and said they had combined two hives and said that i could have the queen (a very nice russian). So i went to go and look for my queen to remove her, i got the cover off the hive after smoking them and within seconds had hundreds of stingers in my gloves. i tried to walk away but they chased me for 3 hundred yards into the woods thousands of them!!! After I had compossed myself i got a new set of gloves and just went to go put the cover on the hive.there were so many bees around the hive all bearded up and very very angry. putting the cover on cost me alot of pain they managed to get me through 2 pairs of gloves and one even got in to my suit and stung me under the chin. the bees once again chased me through the woods. and this time didn't stop patroling my entire yard for 4 hours. three days later they still head butt me while i try to work in my yard 30 yards away from the hive.
    this hive is on the roof of my house ( to keep it from Bears and skunks) so it isn't being harrassed by anything other than a couple of YJ's but not very many. So i guess my question is what is going on with this hive are they queenless? Are they mad about being split up? Are they now overcrowded? I still have the queen in a cage and just to see what they would do i brought it outside within ten minutes there was 4 or 5 bees on the cage feeding the queen with no attemps at stinging her should i just place the queen at the entrane to the hive and hope that the rest of the colony lets her in(I really don't want to go back into this hive if i don't have to)
    thank in advance to anybody who replies to this

-Jeff:confused:

Just to make sure I've got this right, you had one mean hive, then made two nucs from it and they're doing fine?

And now you have a queen in a cage and the mean hive with it's own queen? Or is there a very good chance it's queenless?

How'd you get off the roof.....leap of faith:confused:. I would divide and conquer this hive. Start by sitting each box on it's own bb, and then looking for eggs in four days, that is assuming they still have a queen, which they might not. If it is really hot in your area, you may want to provide them with some sort of shade. I have a hive that I am going to requeen, that is the same way, but lucky for me, it sits on the ground.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default dcross

dcross yeah pretty much and peggjam i had to go down the ladder with about a hundred bees in my face