Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
    Just curious, what about all of the lady keepers? Do their husbands speak to them about messing up the kitchen?
    Given the extent of his cooking, pots could come and go and he'd never notice. Let's just say I keep quiet!

The occasional blob of honey on the counter, floor, or doorknob, however, justs gets a roll of the eyes
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Now, that proves it, Bill. If you had bought them tools, maybe they wouldn't be ex's.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
    Just curious, what about all of the lady keepers? Do their husbands speak to them about messing up the kitchen?
    My husband could care less about the kitchen things. As a matter of fact, he doesn't even know where anything is. I'm always catching him taking my good stuff for camping.

Default removing wax

About the only thing that will work is to dissolve the wax with Carbon tetracloride. Does a good job, wash the pots well before using them again though.

The best way to clean up that mess you made is to pour boiling water over anything that has wax on it and while it is still very hot wipe like crazy with a rag or paper towels and absorb the melted wax. You may have to do this several times but eventually everything will clean up.
    Bee just and just bee

Wink

Can you say OOPS???
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

Carbon Tetrachloride? Are you serious?

Sounds like shooting a squirrel with an elephant gun...there are better safer ways of doing it, even if it is more work....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MRJPRICH View Post
    About the only thing that will work is to dissolve the wax with Carbon tetracloride. Does a good job, wash the pots well before using them again though.
    Highly toxic and carcenogenic.............. DO NOT try this.

Besides the chocolate for the wife, make sure you buy some beer for the plumber...Never ever wash wax down drains. It WILL clog your plumbing.

now i know why solar melters are so popular... it's all OUTSIDE!
    When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.

Quote Originally Posted by blammer View Post
    so why doesn't anyone "tell" the rookies this bit of info?
    you know, like "make sure you only use disposable pots when melting wax" etc...
    It's part of the initiation.. Welcome to the brotherhood of beekeepers banned by their brides.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by blammer View Post
    so why doesn't anyone "tell" the rookies this bit of info?

you know, like "make sure you only use disposable pots when melting wax" etc...
    Beekeeping has been done for centuries. The basics haven't changed. When your copy of the veteran beekeepers handbook arrives, note that it contains within the oath, part of which is to not destroy the pioneering spirit of the rookie. We get to discover everything anew.

To rub salt in the wound you'll someday notice that most veterans ignore the oath and are telling us this stuff all along. I can't explain why I don't hear it. You'll recognize it when you hear yourself moan, "Oh, that's what he/she/they meant..."

I think this is the source of the snickers and jeers you'll hear every now and again in the company of other beekeepers.

... Did you hear the story of John's first harvest? He was telling me all about how honey was on everything all over the house! The funny part is last month I was telling him to line his harvest area with cardboard and have newspaper at the ready... <snicker>
    JohnF INTP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12