Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WHAT have I DONE!

Arrrrg! IT's EVERYWHERE!

ok, I only have one hive, they did pretty good, but not enough to take a LOT of honey off of them.

I opted to take only one frame of the whole med super they filled up. It's all they have, not including what they have in the brood chambers.

So, I take the one frame. Cut it out, smush it up, strain it and get a beautiful quart plus a tad full of honey.

I take the smushed comb and honey, gently heat, pour off honey and have wax left.

I melt wax again in seperat container then strain for purified and pour into "mold". so now all the work is done, OR SO I THOUGHT!

It seems that anything the melted beeswax has touched WON'T come off!
    It's on metal pots, glass pots, wooden spoons a big variety of items.
    I ran it all through the dishwasher and the wax is still stuck fast as if never even touched!

What do I need to get this bees wax off of my pots and pans!
    When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.

Quickly go to the store and replace everything you used before the wife finds out. Forget trying to get it all clean this is now your wax rendering kit. GO run NOW!
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com

Well!,,...................I guess that's one good thing about NOT having a wife hanging around. I had the same problem last year and was criticizing/complaining enough to MYSELF for TWO wives! I have read that some craft stores have something that removes wax. Good luck.

Forget buying pots. Buy flowers and a BIG box of chocolates.....It's the only thing that will save you.

Put everything in a pot or tub large enough to cover with water and boil. Turn burner off and let sit until wax hardens. Remove wax and all you have to scrub is the ring around the tub.

Oh yes, I remember just a few weeks ago after extracting for the first time. "Could you please NOT use my big pot for heating your uncapping knife!" Heh, oh man it took a lot of work to get the wax out....
    www.geekfarmlife.com -- Geek.Farm.Life Podcast, The story of two geeks who move to the country, what could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by iddee View Post
    "...Put everything in a pot or tub large enough to cover with water and boil. Turn burner off and let sit until wax hardens. Remove wax and all you have to scrub is the ring around the tub."
    Great Suggestion; I used one of those round galvanized wash type tubs they sell at Lowes on a outside propane turkey broiler. It worked great heating the water...I just left it on it until it cooled...

well, I've just been banned by my wife, from using any of her pots any more....

off to the yardsales I go!

Dang that stuff is horrible to remove!

so why doesn't anyone "tell" the rookies this bit of info?

you know, like "make sure you only use disposable pots when melting wax" etc...

And miss the snickering and good stories?

If the pots are still hot and the wax still liquid, you can get pretty much all of it off with a paper towel. It's got to stay hot though. Your wife will never notice the slight wax film in the spagetti sauce!

I have to say, this is a pretty funny thread.....my wife is a good sport though, but then again, she is the one who renders most of the wax, and has been warnned not to complain when her good ladal that she is using is no longer her "good" ladal.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

"I had the same problem last year and was criticizing/complaining enough to MYSELF for TWO wives".................Don't I wish!......Should I send this or not?

What doesn't have wax on it is stuck with honey. I'm lucky my wife uses over 100lbs of honey a year. I tell her "I'm doing this all for you"

Of course, what you SHOULD have done was go to Goodwill and buy some old pots and pans just for beekeeping...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Big Grin whatelse have you not been told

Quote Originally Posted by blammer View Post
    so why doesn't anyone "tell" the rookies this bit of info?

you know, like "make sure you only use disposable pots when melting wax" etc...

Now blammer if we told you everything it would take the fun out of beekeeping. just think what you learned I bet you wont make that mistake again ( your wife wont let you) now you can worry about what else you havent been told that will get you into a mess of trouble

If you think wax is bad, just try cleaning propolis off of her favorite pan!!!

Smile

Just curious, what about all of the lady keepers? Do their husbands speak to them about messing up the kitchen?

Not to bee a stick in the mud. Funny thread!!!

Heat up the pots a little to melt the wax, wipe them out and then clean up with the mold cleaner you just bought from the candle supply store, before they cool off. Then run them through the dishwasher to clean out the mold cleaner.

Until you get all that done, hide em in the garage!!

Now what wife wouldn't want a new pot or a new wooden spoon for a birthday, anniversary, or Christmas?

There are not very many wives that appreciate getting a 'tool' for an anniversary, birthday, or Christmas gift.

Well, the three I HAD didn't. My 'significant other', loves tools and gizmo's. She had a BIG RACK and a rollaway full of tools when I met her.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam