Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not the bees

Ann, don't let those ninnies get to you -- they are just pulling your chain -- they don't mean what they say.

I don't live on a busy street; we probably get a couple dozen vehicles down the road a day, half of them horse and buggies. So it was a big surprise when one of our cats was run down a couple months ago, right in front of our house. The nicest cat, too. And, it was my youngest daughter who found her -- right when she was arriving back from a competitive marching band trip to Canada... Tore her up to see that... At least she was celebrating the victory of her band...

MM

>By the way, what are CB's

CCI makes CB's, lovingly referred to as Cat Bullets.

See here --> http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Down towards the bottom under Low Noise/Training/Speciality, they are the preferred bullets for sniping varmints in the backyard.

Also check out the game --> http://www.cci-ammunition.com/game/default.htm
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    Thing is I don't take any offense in being called a girl. That's what I am. Female. Woman. Girl.
    I guess we have different benchmarks for showing respect. I would never address a peer of mine, or anyone over 18, "girl."

"—Usage note: Just as many mature men, even young men, resent being referred to as boys, many adult women today are offended if referred to as girls"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/girl

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I guess we have different benchmarks for showing respect. I would never address a peer of mine, or anyone over 18, "girl."

"—Usage note: Just as many mature men, even young men, resent being referred to as boys, many adult women today are offended if referred to as girls"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/girl
    If you are determined to take offense, Barry, then I apologize only for the fact that you are offended. I am not, however, offended by being called a girl. I suppose using your logic I should be highly offended - there are more important things in life to get my panties in a twist over. Or in your case, knickers in a knot.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

[QUOTE=coyote;257538]I ran across this and it amused me

Cute poster!

May I suggest this conversation move to the tailgater's section. It can join the "Ammunition shortage???" and "Where Have all the Birds Gone?" discussions already in progress. I'm here to see some bee related pics!

LOL

Back to the original post, what the heck does it MEAN? Why's the cat all freaked out about bees?

[QUOTE=Ann;257720]And yes, girls can be immature, they just generally don't go around laughing about killing small animals.[QUOTE]

Heh, I worked with a woman who used to loudly proclaim her love of cats. "I keep a few in my trunk all winter, just in case I get stuck and need something to throw under the tires for traction."

Of course, her life's ambition seemed to be becoming one of the boys...

Wink solution

"When the farmer and hunter were allowed to keep the birds of prey in check, the small wildlife were much more plentiful" -iddee

will the birds of prey eat all the extra cats??
    -M@

Hmmm....my wife bought a bb gun for the express purpose of "knocking off" a few neighborhood cats because all of the neighborhood cats enjoy "knocking a few off" in our sandbox and elsewhere and leave behind lovely "clay balls" for our kids to play with.

"The girl" was so disappointed when I told her that a bb gun would only leave a little dent in a cat instead of a hole.

Then I told her that a better solution for cats involved a hole and a lawnmower

Rick (an avowed cat-hater...they make my throat close up, they make my wife itchy and my kids swell....oh and they poop in my yard, but I couldn't really kill one as much as I like to joke about it even though all the neighbors so irresponsibly let them roam wherever they want to)

Quote Originally Posted by ScadsOBees View Post
    "The girl" was so disappointed when I told her that a bb gun would only leave a little dent in a cat instead of a hole.
    That's my kinda "girl".

Cats are in, so some birds are out. That's too bad but it doesn't matter what you think, you aren't going to change that fact.

I agree with Ann.

There's too many Ted Nugents around. We need more Buddists.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

I wouldnt have a problem with feral cats if their only foods were rats, starlings, the common gray squirrel and slugs. Unfortunately, they seem to prefer endangered species.

I'am Baaack!!!!!!!! Holy Smokes!! I thought this thread ended on page 2; [last night] apparently not!! Interesting comments!! Well....when it comes to "panties in a twist" and "knickers in a knot". Ann: over a silly

photo that nobody knows what it means anyway [what does it MEAN], dcross:? Well...........what can I say, Time to cease and desist? You know what they say...A picture [photo on Beesource] is worth a thousand words. [and then some, lol.]

"Cats are in, so some birds are out. That's too bad because it doesn't matter what you think..DeeBee: EXCUSE ME!!! EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... I THINK! Therefore I AM!!

Death to WILD cats!.........Long live the birds!!!!!

I have no problem with your cats, or mine. The cats I have a problem with are the one's of the people in town.

From what I hear from the man it usually happens like this. The house cat starts clawing the furniture because it is kept inside and bored. The wife starts complaining about it so the man says something to the effect " I know a farmer who needs a cat in his barn". The wife then gives the OK since the cat just knocked her grandmothers cut glass compote off of the fake fireplace mantel.

So the man takes the cat down the country road until he is just past a nice looking farm house and out the door it goes. Now what he doesn't know is that the nice looking farmers house is mine and he is the 4th man to drop a cat this week. Cats are everywhere. Two neighbor women (both from the city) could not stand to see cats starving so they took some in. Between them they had 33 cats. I was afraid to eat the Christmas brownies at one of the houses because a cat was laying on the counter beside of the open box.

Then these many cats started cattin' around. We have wild cats that have running out our ears. I got a trap and was taking a cat to the humane society every day. After a week they stopped taking them. The cats kept on cattin' around so now there are hundreds running thru the woods. After the rabbits were gone the hawks and the coyote's started eating cat. You can't leave the windows open to listen to the morning birds because of the cat's squalling as they are cattin' around.

I still catch the cats in traps. Then I call the neighbors and see if it is theirs. If not I let it go. You would be surprised how your deer season improves if you can hit a running target.

The above story is all true with the possible exception of parts of the second paragraph.
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it

Big Grin

>The above story is all true with the possible exception of parts of the second paragraph.

Yeah, I'd be careful of those brownies too. Especially if they had little green specks in them....
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Wink

shoot the bird dogs too while you're at it. (I am Really just kidding) I am a guy AND a cat person and we've always had our cats neutered before they contributed to the population

I worked with a cat shelter once. They did spay and release for a while, then moved to a more agressive form of spay and release. You could request barn cats that "did not play well with others." As the director put it, the "one eyed, ugly scarred, vicious cat that would seek out other cats not in its territory and attack them just for the sake of fighting." For tomcats they wanted huge, nasty buggers who would drive everything off. For females they chose ones who would attack the males even when in heat. I saw two of them get released. They did it with a pole because the handler said if anyone was near when the door went open, well, that was a scratchin' right there. The guy who got them said that he loved those cats. They killed half the other cats in the first few months that they moved in and the other...left.

I detest cats but my wife likes them. Those things were barely cats. I'm not even certain what to call a cat like that. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't call them, because there's a microscopic possibility it might come. When I helped them assign names I used names of demons an occult book. Before that they were the only cats at the shelter to get numbers instead of names.

I guess some people just like them.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by berkshire bee View Post
    I am a guy AND a cat person and we've always had our cats neutered before they contributed to the population
    It might not sound like it, but I like cats too. My cats, the ones I choose to invite to my home. We have 3, all spayed or neutered.

Lots of people feel that when they are dropping an animal off they, are doing it a favor by preserving it's life.

What kind of life is this. One day you have food and water at your disposal and a life of comfort. The next you are in a strange surroundings, any food you eat you have to find yourself, kill it, and then fight off other animals trying to take it away. In daytime the hawks hunt you, at night the owls and coyotes hunt you. Then after a time you dye from a brain cyst because of worms you got from eating a field mouse or catch rabies during a cat fight.

I applaude you and any other person who has their dogs and cats fixed and take them to the humane society when they are through with them.
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it

Default Cats [wild cats] versus birds.

kc in wv: VERY well stated!! I know this thread more or less "died" a few days ago but I feel strongly about this and a newspaper [Green bay,WI] article prompted me to add another comment. SORRY? maybe
    not. The article: "Stowaway cat survives 100-degree truck ride".
    Quotes from cat owners: "She's definitely a pretty darn independent cat," Roskam said. "She likes to be OUTDOORS all the time but comes home every morning."
    From the "newspaper": The kitty's life WILL REMAIN LARGELY UNCHANGED ONCE SHE GETS HOME. The owners: " She loves to be out doors, and needs to be outdoors, Roskam said.

So,.....there you have it............cat "lovers".
    I don't have a problem with "pets" being outdoors; in fact it bothers me when animals of
    of any kind are confined and obviously bored [with there life].

"habitat and the bandwagon": Brent Bean. I am NOT on my personal bandwagon but only supporting what a PHD. research scientist [Stanely Temple] at the UW. Wisconsin has tried to PRESENT to the public as a reason for the decline of native bird species. Only to be met with ridicule and derision [actual threats of violence] from the ALMIGHTY CAT LOBBY!! Yes....Brent Bean, the loss of HABITAT is a huge problem, "but"... as are population increases [as it inevitably will]............what is your solution? The Bobwhite Quail, [Colinus virginianus] was a common bird throughout southern WI. during the 40's and early 50's; as far as I will go back. The slow decline of this bird; a beautiful, wonderful bird with a bright clear whistle in the morning, coincided with the loss of "habitat", changes in agricultural methods, AND!!!....HOMES; being built out in the country with families with pets and CATS, CATS, DOGS and more cats. The "wild" Turkey has thrived in our area in the last 30 years. I don't think a "cat" would be any match for a wild turkey; a big old "gobbler" or a hen. But a poor Bobwhite????

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbee View Post
    Yes....Brent Bean, the loss of HABITAT is a huge problem,
    Ummm, not to me it isn't. I ain't losing any sleep over it.

Species come and go and if humans are the cause of a species going, directly or indirectly, then it's nature's way of weeding out those which cannot adapt. Mankind is not an abberation of nature. If mankind becomes so overpopulated and squeezes out too many other llife forms then nature will take it's course and eliminate most of mankind and then new species will rise up and take our place. That's the way the world works and has for millions of years. Does anyone think we are the final link in the evolutionary chain? That would be ridiculous.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast