Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not the bees

Default Not the bees

I ran across this and it amused me

It amused me too. I thought how neatly a .22 would fit right above the nose.

Did that with a blow dart once, shivered about three seconds and fell off the rafters.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

The picture was amusing - however any fun was ruined with the following celebration of shooting cats. Must be a boy thing.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Ann. You have nothing to add to "Where Have all the birds Gone"?? {naturebee}

"The picture was amusing-however any fun was ruined with the following celebration of sh
    ooting cats. Must be a boy thing"....I am a "boy" AND I RESENT that statement! [OB.]

First of all I want to say that I am NOT a hunter; never had a license or a gun. I respect those who DO [hunt] for their ENVOLVEMENT in the presevation of natural habitat for ALL kinds of wildlife. Much of the "natural" environment that we have today can be attributed to the licenses/taxes/contributions/stamps, of "hunters".
    There was quite an UPROAR about shooting wild cats in my state a few years ago; 2005 I think, where are own governor said we would be the "laughing stock" of the nation if it was allowed. I!!! was in an "uproar" when my state voted? to allow the hunting of Mourning doves 2 years ago.
    You may not be aware of this but there is a SERIOUS decline of grassland/meadow and other ground nesting birds that may be more vulnerable then shrub/ tree" nesters.
    I miss the sight and song of the Bobwhite quail in my area. They are ground nesting birds and I don't think the hen would have much of a chance against a cat. The young leave the nest after a few days but are still vulnerable to predation weeks after that.
    Other ground nesting birds are also in decline; Bobolink, Meadowlark, Dickcissal, etc, etc., etc. You can find ALL you want to know and than some on the internet about this "issue". "I thought how neatly a .22 would fit right above the nose"...Bullseye Bill. YES!!! I bet I could drive just 30 miles out and 30 miles back on any country road in my area and any part of the state during the evening and see a cat along side the road 96% of the time. Nothing can be "accomplished" if we don't come to some kind of "agreement " about this. You don't want this to be like an "Israeli/Palistinian problem??. Do you???

No, I don't, because my cats stay in and this thread isn't about that. I'm commenting on the frequent occurence throughout all the forums I read, (that are, surprisingly, mainly dominated by men), where great sport is made about killing cats. Your rant belongs in the other thread, on which I agree with the sentiments that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam freely. That doesn't mean I think you should be shooting them for the shear joy of shooting cats. Where is your outrage about killing innocent animals? Oh, that's right, I said it was a boy thing. It still is.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Well........................."girls" do NASTY things also and are NOT without SIN!!

Also....I think the "cat lobby" HAS way TOO MUCH!! power TODAY and the birds will always be at a disadvantage. P.S. The Humane societies around the country are SPENDING a lot of money that could be better spent than on litters and litters of unwanted CATS.

Angry

Ann Iím going to have to line up on your side this time, Iím not a cat lover but donít find any humor in putting a .22 round between the eyes of a cat just because the target presents itself. I wonder what kind of reaction would have happened if it had been a picture of a friendly Labrador Retriever.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

"No I don't, because my cats stay in and this thread isn't about that" [ANN]..........SO,.. do you know how many "families/children/homes out in the country DO NOT ALLOW their cats to roam out in the country?? This is also a PROBLEM because of more homes/families/kids/pet lovers[cats] living out in the country in the last 30 years. This coincides with the decline of grassland birds and NOT so much about lack of HABITAT!

Brent Bean: Who said anything about "HUMOR"?? What needs to be DONE should be done. I mean.................. I watched public TV. about the Emperor penguins that live in the Antarctic and some of those penguins [parents] actually "cause" the death of some young birds because over attentiveness. We just need to GET OVER IT and DO what needs to be done. I would much rather see more grassland birds while driving around than some "domesticated cat" out roaming.

Maybe there will be a few voluntiers/societies/groups or whatever who would like to "obscure" the problem for a few years with "neutering/release or "whatever" but the BIRDS still SUFFER!!.

Oldbee: I think you are just trying to cover up the real comment that has got Ann up in arms. And by the way the leading cause of decline of wild birds is not domestic cats that are over running the countryside killing every bird in sight. Itís mans destroying their habitat by developing the land for subdivisions and such. I think itís a ridiculous justification to just shoot cats to control the problem. That kind of thinking has been humanities sad legacy, people once felt that way about birds of prey and just in my lifetime. So get off your bandwagon about how cat are destroying our wild birds. In reality humans are a much bigger threat.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Since you brought it up. Brent, I do seem to recall seeing fewer and fewer song birds, game birds, rabbits, squirrels, ETC. in the country since the birds of prey have been protected strongly and increased by great multiples. When the farmer and hunter were allowed to keep the birds of prey in check, the small wildlife were much more plentiful.

Of course, feral cats and habitat loss fail to increase their numbers, I do admit. Now we have three reasons for their reduction in numbers. All need to be addressed.

Ann, there is a great difference in shooting cats for sport, and killing feral cats for wildlife enhancement. I am in total disagreement with the first and total agreement with the second.

The REAL threat is man's destroying their habitat by developing the land for subdivisions and such'". So.......BrentBean?...................as the POPULATION increases what do you propose to do about IT?.............Maybe limit the number of "pets" a home should be allowed to have?? I wonder if this this "dialogue" took place when the "Starlings" and House[English] sparrows were "Introduced" into NA. also. They didn't "know" much about '"introduced species" back then but now hopefully we do, but apparently some continue to EMOTIONAL without thinking about the future. And the same goes when our Natural Rescouces Dept. trys and trys to tell people that MUTE swans are NOT native and need to be eliminated from lakes and ponds. Do the people respond with some kind of intelligence??? NO!! they cry like little babies for their ILLIEGAL SWANS who destroy the environment for native species.

For what's worth, I haven't shot anything with a firearm that I don't intend to eat.

Paper and clay targets, mice, coons, opossums, skunks, prairie rats, and coyotes excepted. And no, I don't shoot cats, I do however sell a lot of CB's.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    I agree with the sentiments that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam freely. That doesn't mean I think you should be shooting them for the shear joy of shooting cats. Where is your outrage about killing innocent animals?
    So when it's something you have an issue with you refer to "us men" as "boys." Hmm.

Just so it's clear, I said I use a BB gun, which in no way injures the cat. However, I do lose respect for cat owners who let their cats roam freely outside beyond their own property. I've seen my neighbor's cat kill baby birds learning to fly "for the sport of it." Birds? . . . cats? . . . I'll take the birds any day.

- Barry

I keep a pair of Daschunds who have absolutely no problem "de-catting" the area. They like to chase the squirrels (the old one will let the squirrels go once he catches them). Never bother my cat. They have educated a few of the others on property lines. There's nothing like a flying ball of teeth and fur to convince the cats that there are better places to hunt.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

"For what it's worth, I haven't shot anything with a firearm that I don't intend to eat". Bullseye Bill.............Oh sure.. ..now you tell us. Boy! you sure stirred up a hornets nest!!By the way, what are CB's

Ann - I have cats that roam about freely. However, I have them to keep vermin within tolerable limits on the farm. I feed the cats daily, so they don't have to subsist on rodents alone, and they tend to keep close to the back porch in the summer, and on rainy and winter days are in the barn and stable. I haven't seen them go after any birds, but I have seen them with frogs in their mouths, returning from the pond.

Oh, we care for the cats - they are not feral in any terms of the word - they are dependent on us for sustenance and shelter. Oh, we have also had them spayed.

MM

Mapman, I'm not the one with a problem with cats. We had barn cats, too, when I was growing up, I understand about mice and such, they used to run around in the walls in my bedroom. Until the cats got them!

My cats stay in because I live on a very busy street, and I'm afraid they'll be killed on it (as my last cat was). I fed birds with that cat outdoors, I raised up the birdfeeder and they quite happily ate and laughed at the cat below who couldn't catch them. And yes, Barry, when it comes to the 'killing cats humor' I find it very childish, in the boy department, it's immature humor. Thing is I don't take any offense in being called a girl. That's what I am. Female. Woman. Girl. Whatever. And yes, girls can be immature, they just generally don't go around laughing about killing small animals.

None of it is an insult, unless you're looking for insult.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek