Hybrid View

Angry Chiggers/jiggers/red bugs

Anyone have a surefire method of controlling the itch from these !@##!@ little creatures?

The only sure way is shave the hair near the area where they are.
    Set fire to the hair where they are.
    Stab them with an ice pick when they try to get away from the fire.

Other than that, iodine works as well as anything I have tried.

I remember folks used to take sulfur tablets to keep the chiggers and ticks away. I never had a problem with em personally. So what gets rid of em?? I don 't know. Here's a site with loads on em. If nothing else you can keep yourself entertained with all these remedies until they clear up

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...d-of-chiggers/

Fought with the buggers constantly when I lived in Florida. We used to cover the site where they had burrowed into the skin with clear nail polish and it would suffocate them. Still would itch for a while but it shortened the duration, which can seem endless at times.
    To everything there is a season....

Somebody remind me of this next time I start thinking about moving to Florida...!
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

I don't have a cure for the itch, but to keep them from burrowing once you've been out in the grass where they are, immediately upon coming indoors, strip down and sponge off with rubbing alcohol and a washcloth. Thoroughly. It seems to kill them before they can get to a tight spot where they want to burrow.

We had a "Tick Tolk (talk)" at work for a safety meeting. The presenter told us that chiggers cling to a hair and build a ring of nasty, nasty stuff around them like a fortress wall. By the time we notice their presence, they're gone (according to him). The itching then comes from the resulting infection from the bite and the nasty, nasty stuff (poo, perhaps). It is more irritated when the "fortress wall" is rubbed by clothing. Think of it like a splinter or shard of glass. He said that fingernail polish might work simply by putting a coating on the wall of goo there by keeping us from irritating it.

True or not, I make it a strict policy to begin an anti-infection battle. Reducing the infection reduces the itch. So far, a very few days of antibiotic ointment (could use honey) clears it right up. I don't go the days to weeks that I'm used to.

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

Quote Originally Posted by wayacoyote View Post
    The presenter told us that chiggers cling to a hair and build a ring of nasty, nasty stuff around them like a fortress wall. By the time we notice their presence, they're gone (according to him). The itching then comes from the resulting infection from the bite and the nasty, nasty stuff (poo, perhaps). It is more irritated when the "fortress wall" is rubbed by clothing.
    "Chiggers attach themselves to the skin, hair follicles or pores by inserting their piercing mouthparts. When chiggers attach to humans, they are not usually noticed for some time. During feeding, they inject a fluid into the skin which dissolves tissue [nasty stuff around them?]. Chiggers feed by sucking up the liquified tissues. The human immune reaction to a bite prevents the chigger from obtaining adequate nourishment. They rarely survive long enough to complete a meal."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG085

Default Chiggers - the basics to keep from going insane

I'm chigger bait. If there's a chigger within 100 miles of me, they're coming to me as soon as I go outside. Here's how I fight 'em with a great deal of success - but I do these steps every single time I go outside during chigger season (which is mid summer to late summer in my area).

1. Spay insect repellent around the places chiggers like to bite - sock tops, waistbands, bending parts (behind knees, elbows, armpits, etc.). They like to hang out anywhere your clothes will be tight against your skin.

2. Never walk in tall grass or weeds. Keep grass and fields mowed/bushhogged.

3. Take as hot of a shower as you can stand when you go back into the house. Don't stop to do anything else until you do this step. Wash every inch of your body with soap and a washcloth; be sure to focus on those areas that chiggers like. I don't know how long the time is between when a chigger gets on you and when they bite and dig in but I know you can wash these critters off you if you don't wait more than 8 - 10 hours before you shower. The sooner the better though.

4. If one of 'em gets to you before you can wash them off, the benadryl gel is especially good since it leaves a sort of thin, rubbery type residue on the bite that protects it from getting rubbed and aggravated while it's healing.

If you have too many of these bites, they can just about make you go crazy. Itch, itch.

Good luck!

Default Re: Chiggers - the basics to keep from going insane

I live on about 5 acres of open yard, garden and forest. There is not a place that I can go that does not have chiggers. I have tried all defenses and remedies.

nutso, above has good tips. I will add a few. First a few points about chiggers (harvest mites) (Trombiculidae - see Wikipedia) .

They do not burrow into your skin. After the chigger egg hatches there is a little tiny larva which is typically about .3 mm - very difficult to see. It must have a meal of partially digested skin soon, so it climbs to something tall in the hopes that you will brush by. It crawls around till it finds a tender spot. It latches on with its mouth parts, staying on top of your skin. It injects some digestive fluid into the top layer of your skin which does two things - 1. it partially digests some of your skin; 2. it helps form a hollow tube (stylostome) that goes deeper into your skin so that more fluid can be injected deeper. This fluid is what causes the itching. The chigger hopes to stay attached for a couple of days so that it can finish it's meal. It only gets one chance. If it is detached before it finishes slurping up your liquified skin, it will die. The itching usually starts before it finishes so we scratch it and it dies. (Some animals are not sensitive to the fluid and don't itch, so wont dislodge the chigger.) But we can still itch for days. How severe the itching is, is dependent on how long the chigger was attached. If the bite weeps a clear yellowish fluid, its the meal that the chigger missed out on.

This is the only thing that I can do to avoid chigger bites: I wear thin very tightly knit socks, such as support hose. My long sleeve shirt and pants are thin tightly woven cotton. I use hospital scrubs for the pants. I tuck the pants into the socks and the shirt into the pants and cinch the drawstring tightly. Then I can go outside and immediately spray myself with water from a garden hose from head to toe. Yep, I am dripping wet. Chiggers do not like wet things. Wet cloths help me deal with the 90 degree heat that chiggers seem to like. You could try your luck with not getting wet. (If you know that you will not be near anything higher than knee high then wetting just the pants might work.) As soon as I finish outside and take the clothes off I shower thoroughly and dry myself with a normal towel but rubbing quite hard.

If I get chigger bites, this is how I fix them: I do not scratch the itch - that will make it worse. I put a dab of 5% lidocaine gel (probably online order only) on the bite. This will help stop the itching for a couple of hours. Right after I put the dab of lidocaine on the bite, I dip my fingertip into some powdered diphenhydramine (benadryl antihistamine). Zyrtek also works. I take the capsule of antihistamine and break it open and pour the powder into a little container. After I dip my finger tip into the powder, I rub the bite which is wet with the lidocaine for about a minute - this feels good because it is slightly abrasive and satisfies the scratching urge. I never do more than 5 or 6 bites this way, because the skin could absorb enough antihistamine to make me drowsy. For even better itch reduction I mix the lidocaine gel with a prescription strength topical corticosteroid gel like fluocinonide - that reduces inflammation. I rarely need to treat a bite more than once.

None of the typical over the counter remedies work for me.

Default Re: Chiggers - the basics to keep from going insane

Garlic or garlic tablets. Funny thing is though you have to take them until you start smelling a little garlicky. This also helps keeps other pests away too like mosquitoes (I lived in Jacksonville florida at one time and I KNOW the mosquitoes are a nightmare there)... Essentially garlic doesn't just offend someone trying to snuggle with ya... heheheh.. a lot of outdoorsmen use it too you can find so called "Specialized" garlic tabs at bass pro