Thread: Mite counts

Hybrid View

Default Mite counts

I have been fogging once a week for the last 5 weeks and got a mite count today of 40-45 using the 24 hour sticky board.
    About 6 weeks ago the mite count was 12
    What would you all suggest at this point add additional foggings per week or jump to something stronger? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ski

If you are in a dirth (nector/pollen not comming in) your hive may be robbing another hive and picking up mites there and bringing them home. I would continue fogging and checking. If the mite count increases more I would start fogging 2 times a week. You did not say if you are using FGMO or FGMO/Thymol.
    I check my hives weekly using 2 different methods alternatly.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I am using FGMO with thymol. I will do another check next week.
    Thanks.

Default mite away 2

When I find high counts for the time of the year, I remove the surplus honey and put a mite away pad on for a day or two then take it off and place surplus honey back on. Let the hive air out a bit before putting the super back on. This will keep them knocked back. Has worked for me

Using small doses of a chemical will certainly help keep the mites in check,BUT it also is the way in which mites become tolerent of the chemical and build resistance.