Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What the heck is this thing?!

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  miele 
#1 ·
I have seen on several occassion a wierd looking pollenator on my plants in my beeyard. It has a similar color pattern to the honeybee on its abdomen and thorax. But on its head it carries two greenish eyes. They seem to bee more shaped like a capsule than anythign else. And it also has two feathery looking front legs. I'm assuming that it uses them for pollen collection. I've observed it brushing them over the flowers of several plants.

Is there a website that has good pictures of native pollenators?

#3 ·
I have started doing some feeding lately. About everything that flies or walks loves honey I reckon. And here I thought is was just us beeks!! :)

I was thinking today, it would be a good thing to take some pictures of all the different bees that show up for a taste of some honey. I've lived in the south all my life and have never seen the number of bees around, since I started keeping bees.

Although I take pleasure in squishing all the yellow jackets and common wasps that like to build nests over my doors and chase me out of the house when I leave. :) There are some beautiful and very interesting bees out there! Most of them wasps around here. But some are just too cool to watch. I have been seeing a new one this week that I have never seen before. Beautiful markings, quite large as wasps go. A wary devil it is. Really odd body movements. Twisting and turning to watch me.

Oh heck..... Guess I missed my callin. I shoulda been an Entomologist!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.