Default American Fopuldbrood!

I've come accross this desease two confirmed cases out of 50+ hives.

Even though most literature says that except for the frames, you can scorch the wooden ware, but I plan on burning everything infected...Frames, tops bottmes..everything.

Is that agood idea or is it overkill?

use to be quite common... the old beeks would say I cure the disease with a cup full of gasoline and a match. some folks would even dig a shallow hole and bury the remaining ash, wire and nails.

with any wax still remaining in the box(s) a tall stack and a bit of newspaper at the bottom should be all that is required (which is to suggest that the cup of gasoline is likely unnecessary and dangerous).

So the scourching method of the boxes, tops and covers are effective?

>So the scourching method of the boxes, tops and covers are effective?

That's what the research says, yes. Some people burn them anyway. Some boil them in lye and some cook them in paraffin.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I remember talking to the NYS inspector a few years ago and he told me you can also dig a pit, 4 foot or so down and bury the hives vs burning after you kill the bees.

In they are burning your hives in NYS they require you to dig a pit, about 8 inches deep and four foot by four foot. When they're done burning the hive for you...you get to bury the ashes....

The whole things is sad...and leaves you with way to many unanswered questions...like, where did it come from? Will I get it again? What do I do next? How do I prevent it? I racked my brain...learned much and fortunately didn't have an outbreak <knock on wood>.