Hybrid View

Question Ccd In My Bee Tree

I have a bee tree and it has had honey bees for more than 20 years. In the past year strange things have been happening. Bees come to my windows at night like moths. I have never seen them attracted to light in the past. The colony will almost collapse and then recover from a new incoming swarm finding the nest and the cycle starts again. In the morning I see lots of bees on my deck. Some are dead and others are dieing. Bees are in my house every night and come in an open door to the light. I find many dead under the windows outside in the morning after banging on the glass all night long. I like to photograph them with my video camera and you can see some of the video on google video at this link.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=lyman+bee+tree

I dont use insecticides because of the bees. I dont think this is the CCD problem.. seems more like a disease or parasite to me... or a combination.

They look like honeybees. I've never heard of honeybees flying at night let alone banging on a window at night. That is quite strange behavior. Perhaps that's another thing that is happening with CCD?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Same thing here. Nice strong colony with plenty of nectar flow and taking quart a day of syrup then the hive absconds or dies. Lots of dead or weak bees around the street lights and my flood over the garage. No dead bees under the tree though.

I can only think that the bees have neurological damage due to pesticides.

This is the first I've heard of the attraction to lights at night issue. Are there others out there with similar observations? You have me curious.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My bees at home are about 15-20 feet from my bathroom window, and same distance from a porch light.

All healthy colonies, nucs and ob hive, but they are indeed attracted to light and will crawl on the windows if there's light behind them.

Don't know if it's an issue--while I can't vouch for neighborhood pesticides, my bees are on new comb that's never been treated with anything but Fumigil.

And these hives are boomers with marked queens--the nuc needs to be trimmed down regularly.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

Default Yes,-

I've had bees at the window in the morning when the light was left on, lots of them.

The hive is 10 feet off the kitchen.

They were gentle at that time, but went south on me and had to be euthanized. I suspect usurption.
    -j
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.

Just last night I had a bee crawing up and down on my sliding door from our porch to my bedroom. My hives are about 40 ft from there and it was after dark.

Tampasailor,

Your description tells it all. The bees that inhabit the tree are probably collapsing due to varroa and/or SHB and then once the collapse is complete the empty tree (with remnants of comb) becomes desirable to other bees. A new swarm comes along and re-inhabits the tree.

You are also in the Tampa area which has had a lot of AHB in the area, so the AHB throw off a lot more swarms and continue to throw swarms throughout the entire season, so there is a very good chance that these are AHB.

AHB are not always mean, in fact they may not get really defensive until the colony gets really large. The cavity in that particular tree may not be big enough for them to ever get large enough, so they may not be terribly defensive even if they are AHB.

If they were AHB, then that would tend to corroborate the previous post about them investigating noises and lights at night and therefore more likely to have dead bees showing up in window sills and by the porch light etc.

In fact if the AHB are losing enough bees to the lights to weaken the hive another AHB swarm may usurp them and just move in and kill the queen and it will suddenly get strong again even though the bees never totally disappointed.

I of course am not there and don't know if any of this is accurate, but it is a scenario of AHB behavior that is borne out in the literature.
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    This is the first I've heard of the attraction to lights at night issue. Are there others out there with similar observations? You have me curious.
    I have two nucs on my deck, and when I turn on the bathroom light (window near the front of the hives) or the outside light to let the dog out, there's always a bee or two flying like a maniac either into the window or around the light. I've always assumed these were bees already on the outside of the hive being attracted to the light. I rarely see dead bees and very few are attracted to the light, even if a substantial number are hanging out on the outside of the hive.

tecumseh replies:
    I have notice that bees are most definitely attracted to some of these newer compact florencent bulbs.
    I have these bulbs exclusively in my house, but not outside, just a yellow incandescent there.
    Last edited by Moonshae; 09-13-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Michael,

I have never found the bees to be attracted to incandescent lamps (infrared primarily).
    However, they are certainly attracted to flourescents (UV primarily). In fact during
    the summer I must keep the garage door closed at night to keep them from entering.

Fuzzy

Default lights

Stand in front of your beehives at night with a flashlight. Yes! They're attracted to light.

Default Bees and Night Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

Some interesting comments (pre CCD?) can be found in Dr. Eric Mussen newsletter for Jul/Aug 2006 (last paragraph of "west Nile Spraying).

Note: First read the info noted above, THEN read the following topic.
    Can anyone draw a "wild and crazy" connection?
    Last edited by Dave W; 09-15-2007 at 09:14 AM.

In a room, why do bees go to the window?
    Is it an escape route or are they attracted to the light?

If bees are found in a parking lot at night because "someone left the lights on",
    What happens to the bees when the lights are turned off? Are the "lost" in the dark?

Does spraying water for irrigation attract bees to an area that might be applying an insecticide at night, when bees are not normally present?

Hmmmmmm, good article, thanx Dr. Mussen.