Default What size is YOUR hive?

Mid-August population of new “package colony” should be approx 45,000 bees (covering about 15 frames [DLW]) and still increasing. August population of an overwintered colony may be down slightly to about 55,000 bees (bees covering at least 18 frames [DLW]).

Comments???

I'll count this weekend to see if I'm where I need to be... 45,321... 45,322, 45,323... ;-) (Just kidding!)

You seem knowledgable about buildup... Any idea how many frames (medium) I should have from swarms caught around Memorial day? I'm starting to sweat bullets. I'm in Columbus, about middle of state. I beleive my swarms (2) are at about 6 - 7 frames.... Are they gonna make it through winter?
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Numbers of bees isn't as important as age of bees when considering whether a hive might winter. Going into winter with 60000 old bees isn't as good as going in with 45000 young bees. As long as your queen is cranking out the eggs, you should be ok.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by budster View Post
    Any idea how many frames (medium) I should have from swarms caught around Memorial day? I'm starting to sweat bullets. I'm in Columbus, about middle of state. I beleive my swarms (2) are at about 6 - 7 frames.... Are they gonna make it through winter?
    Budster, I like to take a hive top feeder and feed a 1 to 1 ratio of sugar water to the bees around the time goldenrod starts blooming. I think it gets the queen laying the eggs needed to make the winter bee's. If the goldenrod actually produces nectar it is just as good but don't count on it producing nectar just becaue it blooms.
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it