Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I get last bit of honey from cappings?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Make sure you don't have a hungry squirrel or chipmunk that can get to it.

Also when you have more then 1 hive how do you make sure you don't put a super on the wrong hive next time. Mine go into a pile and get put back on another hive next time it needs to get filled. I cant see how else to do it. Numbering them all would be crazy talk.
    Mine are numbered but I only deal with 20 hives or so.
    After extracting honey we make sure the same frames go into the same box. It works.
    Better safe then sorry!
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I have only done this once in my short time beekeeping. What I have found useful to separate honey from cappings is to suspend a collander inside the opening of a large pot. The larger the pot, the larger the collander can be. Then, the collander is lined with flour sack cloth (bought mine at WalMart in the kitchen towel section). The weave on flour sack cloth is tighter than that of cheesecloth, and it is cheaper than cheesecloth. Room temperature honey flows through the cloth easily. In this way, the honey is more suitable as table honey.

I did initially consider heating the cappings/honey in a large roasting pan in the oven, but decided against that approach for two reasons. Primarily, it was my first pull and I wanted to share honey with several people who would rather have table honey. Second, mine is a gas oven and I wanted to play things safe by not approaching the flash point of the wax with a flame-heated appliance. I know that my oven thermostat is erratic at the very low end of the range of possible settings (+/- 30 F around 200 F). In the future I might just use a Presto pot for the whole thing, and wind up with wax and baking honey.

In the end, my choice was made based on the scale of the separation (small), safety, and the materials on hand.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Despite what some people of reputed knowledge say, the prudent thing to do is NOT feed any honey back to the bees.

Let's play with some math. Say you have one hive of 20 that collected some AFB, but has not shown clinical symptoms. You think all is well, and extract all supers and store for the year. If next year you resuper all hives with one super, you most likely will infect one more hive. With 2 supers, the chances increase to 2 more hives. Hmmmm. if you use shallows and not deeps for supers, I bet your infection chances are higher.

If you open feed the cappings, you take a chance of infecting all 20 hives.

Pretty simple to see what is prudent.

Crazy Roland

Rinse cappings with hot water until five gallons of the water @70 degrees measures 1.20 on your hydrometer and add KIV 1116 per directions on packet. Aereate vigorously for three days and then air lock the container for two weeks or until thu bubbling. Siphon off clear liquid and air lock it for another year. All my cappings get treated this way before being melted down.

The trouble I have with cappings is that hive beetle larva start working on them before they drain.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    the prudent thing to do is NOT feed any honey back to the bees.
    Roland,

I understand that you're a commercial guy, right? So what ever approach that you take must scale to a very large degree. I understand that commercial guys have special processing equipment to handle capping and related honey, but given that I still have a question based upon the description that you gave.

Here are my questions:

1. Is your concern primarily with the honey in the cappings?
    2. What do you do with your wet supers?
    3. Do you keep the frames and boxes dedicated to specific hives?

Seems to me that wet supers are nearly as likely to transmit AFB as cappings. If these are spread around to other hives aren't you doing basically the same thing as giving the cappings?

Thanks in advance.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

1. Is your concern primarily with the honey in the cappings?
    Yes.

2. What do you do with your wet supers?
    Put them back on a hive, in the summer, or next spring.

3. Do you keep the frames and boxes dedicated to specific hives?
    No.

If these are spread around to other hives aren't you doing basically the same thing as giving the cappings?

One infected super infects one hive.
    One infected pile of cappings infects ALL hives.

Crazy Roland

Roland, you make an excellent argument. AFB is terrible. I'll never leave honey out in cappings or otherwise again. And I'll be very careful when feeding honey to the bees again either. The health of my and my neighbor's bees is more important than being able to be politically correct about being all natural.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Rinse cappings with hot water until five gallons of the water @70 degrees measures 1.20 on your hydrometer and add KIV 1116 per directions on packet. Aereate vigorously for three days and then air lock the container for two weeks or until thu bubbling. Siphon off clear liquid and air lock it for another year. All my cappings get treated this way before being melted down.
    I second this with one exception, I use 71B-1122,

I did let the bees clean up some cappings ONCE. Two of my nucs didn't survive the melee

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Vance G - I have been toying with that idea for a while. The best Mead I ever had was from cappings.

When you say "Aereate vigorously for three days " - how do you do this? Using a mechanical stirrer and have it on for 3 days? or the occasional stir every few hours?

thanks for the suggestion

max

To Max post #30 I just give it what Paddy gave the drum a couple times a day. One heck of a beating if you don't know Paddy. Throwing in a handful of raisins always help add nutrients for the yeasts. Makes a semidry mead. Another guy said 71b and that is good for sweeter mead, you just need to make sure you siphon the wine off the lees after a month with that one or the dead yeast starts giving off nasty flavors I am told.

To Max post #30 I just give it what Paddy gave the drum a couple times a day. One heck of a beating if you don't know Paddy.

I don't know Paddy but I think I get the idea - a good stir a few times a day.

Throwing in a handful of raisins always help add nutrients for the yeasts. Makes a semidry mead. Another guy said 71b

71b ?? don't get this one? Is this a type of yeast?

and that is good for sweeter mead, you just need to make sure you siphon the wine off the lees after a month with that one or the dead yeast starts giving off nasty flavors I am told.

I guess the lees would float?
    And then a year of patients!!
    Would it be possible to bottle it after a month and let it bottle ferment?

all very interesting

thanks

max

>71b ?? don't get this one? Is this a type of yeast?<

Yes its a strain of yeast

>I guess the lees would float?<

The lees will sink to the bottom of your container

>Would it be possible to bottle it after a month and let it bottle ferment?<

I would be careful with this. 1) after a month it will still be young,and cloudy 2) you will need to take precautions to let it finish in the bottle. If the proper precautions are not taken, the bottles will build too much pressure. In the worst case the bottles explode. Best case the corks blow out and spill the contents on the wife's floor! (been here....and didn't go well for me) In my opinion DO NOT rush your finished product. Age it in an air locked vessel

Steve

Besides AFB, we have good reason to believe that CCD can also be spread by feeding honey.

Crazy Roland

Thanks to all - sounds like an easy way to get some mead and remember - never offer cappings to your bees!