Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I get last bit of honey from cappings?

I just have a 5 gallon bucket filled with cappings - do you put it in the sun? what then? thanks.

Lightbulb

Spred it on a large baking sheet and let the bees take it back to the hive where you can reclaim it later.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

after my capping are drained, I will take them out and let the bee's clean them also. you might be surprised on how much they can get from cleaning
    Ted

Depending on how energetic I am, I either give them back to the bees to clean up, or put them in a large roasting pan with the oven on 200 F and let it melt to separate and then harden to pull the wax off the top. It will be dark and I only use it or sell it as baking honey, not table honey. But it makes great honey to cook with.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've always given it back to the bee's to clean up above the inner cover with a super over it. They clean it up pretty fast and when pulling frames later for extraction I can see where they've also used some of the wax to cap some of their cells.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Spred it on a large baking sheet and let the bees take it back to the hive where you can reclaim it later.
    Ditto!!! That's roughly how I do it.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Cool

Put it in a salad spinner and let it sit in the sun for about a hour then spin the cappings. Put through strainer. Take honey out with spatula, it works for me. You can get allot of honey this way then I give the bees the rest of the cappings and I also make pollen patties to feed back to the bees. It works great!!

Default use a strainer and spin

I use those strainers that fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I put the cappings in it, tie the end shut and spin it in my extractor. You can also buy strainer bags specifically for this purpose at Brushy Mountain.
    BEE-L snob since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

"Spred it on a large baking sheet and let the bees take it back to the hive where you can reclaim it later."

I like that. Yes, we will reclaim it later... Are we greedy, Micheal Douglas was wrong as Gordon Gekko in "Wall Strret"...

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that 'greed'—for lack of a better word—is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms—greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge—has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed—you mark my words—will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."
    Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
    "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that has a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by budster View Post
    "Spred it on a large baking sheet and let the bees take it back to the hive where you can reclaim it later."

I like that. Yes, we will reclaim it later... Are we greedy, Micheal Douglas was wrong as Gordon Gekko in "Wall Strret"...

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that 'greed'—for lack of a better word—is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms—greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge—has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed—you mark my words—will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

hehe, well Budster, I don't know if I understand where you are coming from with that, I will always leave more honey onthe hives than the bees need. My thinking is about maximizing the return for the time I put into it... to just put the cappings out there without at least trying a smarter method of gather ing it doesn't make sense.

Right now, I have it in a 5 gallon bucket, which has a strainer hanging on the top, and it is in a hot attic. Hopefully that will help with the seperation.

I think I have tried about every way listed above to get the honey out of the cappings but in the end, it's not worth my time and effort to mess with so little.

Let the bees have it, and what they don't need you can have back.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Default Re: How do I get last bit of honey from cappings?

Old thread. But has anyone came up with any new ideas to get that last bit of honey out of the cappings? could be an extra couple of cups. that is one more honey bear we can fill!

Quote Originally Posted by good11s View Post
    Old thread. But has anyone came up with any new ideas to get that last bit of honey out of the cappings? could be an extra couple of cups. that is one more honey bear we can fill!
    PLEASE - not to spread it out and let the bees have it. It must be the best way to spread AFB if just one hive got it.

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    PLEASE - not to spread it out and let the bees have it. It must be the best way to spread AFB if just one hive got it.
    And it encourages robbing from the weak hives and nucs.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

If you move the capping 100 yards from the apiary robbing is nil. Spreading disease depends on the health of your apiary, how much brood disease have you seen in the last few years?
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    If you move the capping 100 yards from the apiary robbing is nil. Spreading disease depends on the health of your apiary, how much brood disease have you seen in the last few years?
    I read a lot here where people are worried about spreading disease by allowing capping honey retrieval and feeding honey back to their bees. Makes little sense to me. How many people take the time to make sure they never put used supers from one hive on another after harvest? Certainly the guys running more than about 10 hives can't manage that, talk about a logistic nightmare. So when I see these concerns about cross contamination, I have to scratch my head. An obviously diseased hive should be segregated and corrected, beyond that, I think the concerns are way overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    So when I see these concerns about cross contamination, I have to scratch my head. An obviously diseased hive should be segregated and corrected, beyond that, I think the concerns are way overblown.

Agree 100%. Let your healthy bees clean up the cappings you harvested from your healthy hives.
    Last edited by AstroBee; 06-07-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

to answer the subject of the post --> Chew baby Chew.

TN Apiary act - "The deliberate acts that are prohibited include, but are not limited to, the following: (1) Placing in a location that is accessible to free-flying honeybees any beeswax combs, beekeeping equipment, honey, or other substance known to be attractive to honeybees and capable of transmitting
    bee diseases..."

And BTW, TN has an excellent record of preventing and controlling outbreaks of AFB.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Make sure you don't have a hungry squirrel or chipmunk that can get to it.

Also when you have more then 1 hive how do you make sure you don't put a super on the wrong hive next time. Mine go into a pile and get put back on another hive next time it needs to get filled. I cant see how else to do it. Numbering them all would be crazy talk.