Default Wax Scales Under Hive

NewBee here. Everyone here is very helpful and I have enjoyed the learning experience so thanks to all in advance. I put a 4 frame nuc into a 10 frame full body (6 frames of new plastic foundation) three weeks ago and started feeding 1 to 1 sugar 10 days ago. Yesterday I noticed white beads under the hive which I initially thought was some white caulking that I had put into the inside corners and that the bees were carrying out the caulk that they could reach. I was trying to keep hiding places to a minimum for SHB. I swept up the debris today to find hundreds of white wax scales in the debris. My concern is that these scales are not being used to draw out the foundation. They do seem to be drawing out at a good pace however. Is this a problem or is there just too much wax being produced because of the syrup feeding?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_Davis; 07-29-2007 at 06:22 PM.

I "silicone caulk" my bottom boards also on the bottom surface and also on the inner before painting though I paint the bottom [inner] only on the first front 6 inches. As long as the bees are drawing out the comb "at a good pace" I wouldn't think there was a problem. As far as "too much wax" being produced because of syrup feeding, I have never heard of that. Sometimes a NEW beekeeper will do things with a hive that only being there and observation by an experienced beekeeper can understand what's going on if there is a "problem".

Nothing to worry about. Remember- wax is produced by "new bees" too.....sometimes they just get careless and drop a bit.

Fresh wax scales on a sticky board looks like pieces of CLEAR glass.

At "lot" of wax (and usually bee parts) under hive could be a sign of robbing (robbers opening capped honey).