Thread: Too crowded?

Default Too crowded?

I have a hive that I started in late May from a package. Whan I walked by this evening (at dusk) there were hundreds of bees clustered on the landing board and packed into the hive entrance. It is comprised of two deep hive bodies and one med. super. Are the bees out there because they don't fit inside or because they are doing something out there? Should I put on another super even if the first is not full? Rob
    "The gods of the hills are not the gods of the valleys." Ethan Allen

I suspect the humidity and heat index are up and they are out to cool down...some have suggested propping the cover up a little with a small stick to help air flow. That's what I would do.

I put half of a clothespin under the top cover to raise it up a bit a few weeks ago. Perhaps I need something larger. How big a space are you trying to create?

Rememberbaker:

I would lift the bottom of the hive up and see if it is heavy. If it is, maybe you need to place another hive body on to.

also... baker.... are you a baker?

Thanks Chef, While I can bake, that does not make me a baker. Remember Baker was a Vermonter ( actually probably a nutmeg state transplant)who used to hang around taverns with his buds Ethan, Ira, Seth and a bunch of others. On occasion they would sober up and go harass the British (Fort Ticonderoga for instance). He was one of the lesser known Green Mountain Boys. Rob