Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find?

Default Where to find?

I have been looking for a piece of 24 inch dia. steel pipe 1/4 thick side wall. I need about 12 feet or so to make a BBQ Smoker. I have searched hi and lo and all over the net, asked local people and I can not find a steel pipe supplier anywhere. Does anyone know where or how I could go about getting a piece of pipe?

Lightbulb

I'd try the local scrap yards or boilermakers.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Here in Redmond there is a "Redmond Pipe Supply" who have a stock yard packed full of these types of pipes.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

that is awfully thick pipe you are to be using Ruben and it will likely require a good pile of wood just to heat up that much metal. I hope you don't plan to move the beast much. I would look for a local metal fabrication shops... a small to medium size metal repair facility is what I would look for.

What tecumseh said. That's a ton of steel, it would take 2 men and a boy to move that around. And what are you planning to smoke? Anaconda? Alligator? Why 12' of pipe?

FYI, the last smoker I had I made from an old refrigerator. Worked fine for deer haunches, sausages, clams, etc.

In any case, sounds like you have a plan. Care to elaborate?
    Dulcius ex asperis

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    I have been looking for a piece of 24 inch dia. steel pipe 1/4 thick side wall. I need about 12 feet or so to make a BBQ Smoker. I have searched hi and lo and all over the net, asked local people and I can not find a steel pipe supplier anywhere. Does anyone know where or how I could go about getting a piece of pipe?
    A metal shop that does custom bending, forming and welding could fabricate one for you out of a sheet of steel. It would cost you, might be as high as s300 or $400, though.....
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

I've seen people convert water heaters into smokers/barbecuers. No idea how think the walls are though.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

How about using some galvanized corrugated culvert? Would be plenty rigid, rugged enough and available.

How about using sheet metal, you could form it however you liked.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Thumbs down galvanized heat and food all in one phrase

I would be scared to use galvanized in something that was being heated to cook food sounds like a good way to get swollen up. I would go with having someone roll a sheet of steel. if you have an oil field supply around you might get a old salt water seperator or there may be another piece of equipment you could convert

Ruben,
    I have a friend here that should be able to roll that for you.
    Call me.
    Curtis

mistergil adds:
    How about using some galvanized corrugated culvert? Would be plenty rigid, rugged enough and available.

tecumseh suggest:
    see riverrats comment... a certain receipt for disaster... plus galvanize material is difficult and potentially dangerous to fabricate using any welding techniques that I am familar with and without a lot of prep work the welds will look terrible.

lastly most bending and folding process require in metal fabrication will cost considerable more than the materials themselves.

See if there are any pipeline contractors in your area. I lease a couple of acres to some, and they've got stacks of that stuff that are cutoffs from their jobs. These guys say they have a facility in VA.

http://www.oilfieldpipe.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    lastly most bending and folding process require in metal fabrication will cost considerable more than the materials themselves.
    True, but if it gets you what you want and you're willing the pay the price a good fab shop is the way to go. The guys I worked with turned out a quality product and if they knew it was for personal use of some sort they were pretty reasonable on the rates.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

There is one for sale in the for sale section. Think it was located in Kansas.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Ruben, when you find a good source, let me know. DH want some for the same purpose.

The 1/4 thick pipe is what the big pit makers use, I wanted to buy a pit from www.gatorpits.net he has awsome pits but the shipping from Texas to Virginia gave me a heart attack so I want to make my own. I sent you a pm Curtis.

A 30 gallon steel barrel works great for a smoker (and about the right size for an extractor too).

Is it just me, or is the idea of building a fire on the tailgate of an SUV sorta Darwinian?

http://www.gatorpit.net/Gator_Tailgating.JPG

Default propane tanks work great if you know what you are doing

I am unsure if you have propane for home heating back east but here is another option there are guys around here that have built nice smokers out of 500 or 1000 gallon propane tanks. these are cheap and easy to find used they are thick walled and shapped like what you are wanting they have ways to evacuate the propane fumes so they can be cut open safely If interested pm me I can find out how they do it. dont really want to post how its done on a bulletin board for liablity purposes darwin awards are handed out for a reason