Default Why did they swarm?

I have a hive that was in 2 deep broods and one super with plenty of open frames in each box. Early July I pinched their queen as she was laying poorly and let them raise there own.

If my math is right somewhere between just emerging and several days later I saw the hive swarm.

I've had several other hives raise their own queens without any problems but that was in the Spring. There is a lull in the flow right now.

Why did they take off with the new queen and what can I do in the future to prevent this? Thanks, Pooh

That sounds like AHB behavior. Absconding with the new queen during a dearth.

And they had no brood to leave behind either.

Was the hive empty or is half the population still there carrying on business as usual?

Are there any honey and pollen stores?
    Troy

About half the population is left. Some pollen stores and honey. The hive was not aggressive. If it was AHB would it have to be an aggressive hive? It's in my backyard and I garden all around it with no problems yet.

Interesting that they would swarm with a new queen as opposed to the new queen eliminating any other queen cells that were started. Did you by any chance go back in to see how many new cells they statred after pinching the old queen? ...Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

They had started and capped three queen cells. I too thought that the initial queen would have torn down the others:confused:

Maybe some more info will help. Upon inspection I put them down into 2 brood chambers removing the empty super. They still have a good deal of pollen and a little honey. Hive is empty of brood except for 1 frame of fresh eggs.