Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Tomato plants....

What eats them?

I have deer, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, and other animals in the back yard from time to time. But I really didn't think any in particular favored or ate tomato plants.

There is too much damage to think its anything other than an animal. I have seen half a plant dissappear over night. Several feet of plant.

Anyone know what will eat tomoto plants? I have squash plants planted in the same area, and they seem to go untouched. Go figure.

Thank you.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ DEER they are jumping my electric fence and they are eating my squash too
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I though it was the deer, but never imagined they ate tomato plants like that.

Thanks Ed.

It's deer, if it grows in your garden they wil eat it:mad: . They will even eat my weeds.

Korny

Deer......darn pests is what they are, they'll eat darn near anything.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default tomato plants

Did you look for tobacco worms? Unbelivable how much damage they can in a relatively short time.

If deer you should see hoof prints, if tomatoe horn worm they eat the foliage but leave little pellets of their dropping, worms don't eat the stems.
    Ground hogs could be the culprits also.
    I planted string beans four times and the critters ate em four times--sometimes ya win sometimes ya don't. Good luck!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by power napper View Post
    If deer you should see hoof prints, if tomatoe horn worm they eat the foliage but leave little pellets of their dropping, worms don't eat the stems.
    Ground hogs could be the culprits also.
    I planted string beans four times and the critters ate em four times--sometimes ya win sometimes ya don't. Good luck!
    I ended up fencing mine in, so far so good.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I've used Liquid Fence with good results on my apples. The apple trees outside my 9 foot fence that is.

http://www.liquidfence.com/

Tomato hornworms can do a lot of damage. They are large, and well-disuised until you're used to looking for them. They also leave droppings on the leaves. You can hand pick them, or use bt, which is acceptable for organic gardeners.

I've heard that deer will eat them. If there were enough hornworms to eat 1/2 a plant then I think you'd notice them easily....

Blood meal works OK on rabbits....might work for deer too. They don't like the smell or taste.

Now I just have to find a way to keep the 'coons out of the 'corn....

Rick

"Now I just have to find a way to keep the 'coons out of the 'corn...."

Live traps baited with marshmellows or anything sweet, twnkies ect and I have known of people that leave a radio on a talk station in the corn patch.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Deer eat everything, even tomatoes if there isn't anything more tantalizing. They've even been eating my eggplant.

Coons on corn - the only thing I've found that keeps them out is an electric fence. Ornery critters.

MM

Tomato Horn Worms can trash tomato plants in a real hurry. They're huge (up to 3-4" long), green, and despite their size, hard to spot. Somewhere I've got pictures..
    Dulcius ex asperis

And if you ever see a hornworm with cocoons on its back, don't kill it. The wasp larvae will take care of them for you, and you'll have built-in hornworm protection forever and ever.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Ok, I went a lookin....

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ictures021.jpg

Can you fry them up....

Second try....a little bit better...
    Last edited by BjornBee; 07-27-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Ok, I went a lookin....
    Oh Yeah Man, that's what I'm talkin about

Amazing aren't they? Once you know they're there, they are easy to spot. The biggest one I ever saw was nearly the size of a hot dog.

I remember an episode of a show the name of which I've forgotten.. one of those reality shock-effect shows where they have people race to eat a bucket of split pea soup by sucking it through 3 feet of cow intestine, or crawl through mud to transfer huge leaches in their mouths from one hog-trough to another hog trough... you know the show... can't remember the name...

Doh! Fear Factor! I had hoped I'd forgotten that show!

Anyways, in one episode the contestants had to eat a plate full of tomato horn worms, raw. Chewed `em up they did, green juice running down their chins. I almost spewed watching that one.

So Yeah. They're edible
    Dulcius ex asperis

I've been steadily battling with those blasted worms. I never seen a critter eat so much in my life!!! All that's left is a trail of poop where the leaves and branches used to be!

Being ignorant to these things I squashed one of them that had cocoons all over it's back, Which I thought were eggs till Napper and Fushion Power set me straight. They were offspring of the Braconid Wasp. A parasite to the worms.

Oh well, since I have ordered Trichogramma Wasp and released them as well as some nematodes. I couldn't find any of the Braconids readily. But I have jailed a couple hoping they have been infected with them! So Now I'm a Waspkeeper too I reckon.

Thing is though, when I got home from a trip to Chicago I think it was, my plants were being destroyed like it would have to be some sort of big animal! But I did find one of these worms and found out about them. I would never have believed that what turned out to be 2 worms can do! I have the plants around my bees. Just because it's convenient. But the deer hang out about 10 feet behind my hives almost every night. Maybe they like the smell of honey I dunno, but they don't bother my tomatoes or cucumbers. Maybe the bees protect em

we have always called them cut worms, seems they cut the top out of a plant, they will kill it if you dont get them in time. anytime you see were something has eaten on a tomato plant look for them. he there some where... glad you found it...
    Ted

Default Deer

The little buggers nipped the top growth on several plants, then returned to take some off about 2 inches above ground. Tomato plants are in the nightshade family, very poisonous. I was surprised, but I think that they nipped them off, tasted them, and spit them out. Had to build a wire fence around the whole garden. It works except when I forgot to close the gate.
    Hobbyist