Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default You got that right-

Andrew - it is frustrating!

A mile from here, they had 7# tubs for $12.:mad:

MM

The going price around here is anywhere from $12-$14 a quart.

Pricing: I've had people ask me "why would I buy your honey at you're price when I can go to my neighbor and get it for a lesser price." I explain how our honey may be different, but answer their question by saying, "you won't buy mine at my price if you don't want to."

This has been my trend since the first time I set a price on my honey. My father was the peddler for me and he explained that a man at work was selling it for nearly a dollar less per pound. He wanted to know what he should tell potential customers who pointed that out. I reminded him that I didn't want to compete with this already-established supplier, and that he should tell customers to buy from the other guy if price was all that mattered to them. He abbliged me and we ended up selling everything to his coworkers who discovered there was more to honey than the price. Many comments were made about them liking our honey better for various reasons.
    WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ThreeElms View Post
    Man, I would love to get $8/qt. I stopped by the Amish stand at the side of the road yesterday about a mile from my house. They are selling honey, 3lbs for $5.50.

It drives dow the price for everyone. Argggg.
    I don't know how folks can even remotely sell that low on a retail basis.

I sell quart jars for $9.75 and 3 lb plastic jugs for $9.50.

It was my biggest seller last weekend.

I don't try to sell my honey over someone elses.... I tell them... If you like the honey you are getting for cheaper go buy that honey. They rarely leave without buying mine.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I get $8 for a 1 pound jar, $14 for a two pound jar and $20 for a quart (3 lbs.). How do I sell a quart of honey for $20 when a local beekeeper sells his honey for $7.50 a quart? I tell the customer that my honey is expensive (relative to what other beekeepers get for their honey). I produce organic (uncertified) honey. I do not use any chemical treatments on my colonies. What I sell is what I eat, and I like the best!

What is honey worth? Ask some of your friends, not other beekeepers. Today I showed a quart of honey to a woman and I asked her to guess how much the honey was worth. She guessed $20, not $7.50!

Andrew I am getting 4.50 for 1 pound jars and 8.00 for 2 pound jars. I know some of the other beeks tell me I am too high. I asked "have you bought Gas lately " and how trips to the yards do you make long before you see any honey ? I figure if thier honey isnt worth as much as mine then they should sell it cheaper ....Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

Quote Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
    Andrew I am getting 4.50 for 1 pound jars and 8.00 for 2 pound jars. I know some of the other beeks tell me I am too high.
    I wont bee one of the beeks that tell you your prices are to high I get 5.00 for one pound and 8.00 for 2 lbs so your in the ball park but in the cheaper seats when everyone cuts there price to beat the other guys price the only real thing that ends up getting cut is our throats:mad:

Default Pricing honey

Check the stores for a baseline:
    at the Warehouse stores you can buy rock bottom 5# bottles for honey of unknown origin (5 or 6 countries listed) for so little over the wholesale price that it makes you think they are dumping it

at the regular grocery store prices average out to around $5/lb - they are mostly selling 12 oz. bears for 3.75 - same unknown origin stuff. I've seen ross rounds for $7-$8 each.

at the specialty grocery stores but also Target they are selling 'unique' honey - buckwheat, huajillo (sp?), orange blossom, etc. for $5+ /lb.

at the health food stores you will see local honey at $5+/lb and 'organic' labeled honey and other niche products up to $7.

at farm stands a pint with a large chunk of comb floating in it goes for $7

I find my neighbors are not too price conscious about local honey - if they are they just shop elsewhere. I try to cultivate the market for local honey, people who appreciate the unique flavor and health benefits. I offer it at a fair market price of $5 lb.

It's supply and demand, if I end up with too much of it I'll start wholesaling to the health foods store or increase my marketing efforts. Also, branch out to different products that don't undercut my core line. I have spring and fall honey. I have customers who recognize the taste difference. If I get to where I want to increase the size of the sale I'll try for higher ticket gift jars or chunk comb, rounds, etc. Just not sure where that limit is right now since my customers soak up all the 1lbs I've got (some buy 4 at a time). I have people request it by the gallon but I just tell them it's kind of expensive that way - I will only discount the price of the jars/labels saved.

I spend time educating my customers as well so they know what goes into the honey and more importantly what is not in it.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The best advice i saw here was what the market will bear in your area.Along with your packageing will do the best selling for you.I wish i could get $8 a pound here but it just will not happen sure i could sell a few containers at that price but not what i need to sell.

The last coment i read is still disturbing to me.The idea that someone else is driveing the price down for everyone.Not true you saw what people posted on prices.Everyones market is different,even just down the road 20 miles you may do better or worse.I have found you have to develope your market to some point.the only odd ball price i saw posted was the $2.50 a pint.I have places here that sell cheep not that cheep tho but it will not effect my prices.I use to post my prices when someone new asked but stopped do that for this reason.

Here are some things that i look for in priceing my honey.I look at the the honey in stores,at the local beekeepers stand, at a festavle or farmeres maket.This will give you a good idea where to start.

Here is somethings i will not do.i will not change my price at a Fest. or othe market up or down.I will not undersell the person that i know is making part or all of his liveing selling honey.For that matter i try to stay way from the persons market alltogether if possible.

I am just a hobie beek with 20 or so hives

Bob
    Mitch KD8IMF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12