Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is going to try Bumbles next year?

If I can store enough pollen I am definitely trying to culture some bumbles next year. Is anyone else?

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Pollen! Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my pollen traps on. Yes I want to give it a try next year. Just a few hives.

Where can I find info on getting a hive set up and buying the bees?
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
    Where can I find info on getting a hive set up and buying the bees?
    http://befriendingbumblebees.com/

I have it, it is an easy read, clear and concise.

Keith

Seems all I have to do is leave some fiberglass insulation lay on the floor of my garage. Also had a colony in a winterkilled nuc this year until the ants overran it.

>>>If I can store enough pollen I am definitely trying to culture some bumbles next year<<<
    So....am I to take it that they aren't self sufficient?
    Sheri

Default Bummble bees?

I don't need anything else to compete with my bees for nectar sources.

I've already got some really great hummingbird recipes - Honey Barbaque - Yum!!

-Jeff
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    >>>If I can store enough pollen I am definitely trying to culture some bumbles next year<<<
    So....am I to take it that they aren't self sufficient?
    Sheri

Only because you have caught and confined the queens in early spring and you don't let them forage until they start brooding or there are workers.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by NW IN Beekeeper View Post
    I don't need anything else to compete with my bees for nectar sources.
    The competition from a few dozen to hundred bumbles wouldn't be a blip on your honeybees radar.

I've already got some really great hummingbird recipes - Honey Barbaque - Yum!!
    Mmmmmmm, sounds like something that would be served at some swanky New=York eatery, and served on a huge expansive plate.

Keith

I wouldn't try to *keep* bumblebees, but I can recommend a great flower that they will visit readily and often for pollen. I planted an old variety of morning glory this year known as Grandpa Ott. Every morning, they are all over it.

Question Too many bumbles?

The bee balm and veronica that are normally covered with honeybees at this time of year have only bumble bee visitors--and lots of them. Do bumbles compete with honeybees?

There are lots of nectar sources around me that are only visited by the bumbles. For example, the red clover and the teaseall.

I accidentally found a bumble bee nest tonight, I was checking the white sweet clover bloom and heard a real roar. I had stepped on the nest and about 10 bumbles came out to check things out.

I didn't explore it further cause I didn't have my suit on. But I wonder if it would be worthwhile to hive them and try to rent them out to some of the greenhouses around here?

Some bees do compete, however bee balm is known for being excellent for bumble bees and not so excellent for honey bees. You probably just didn't have many bumblebees around before and now its just not worth it to the honey bees. If you're just talking about a few plants, you'll probably get a tablespoon or two less honey this year! I wanted to get some bee balm going this year for the bumble bees, but didn't get around to it. I remember one year when I grew it they loved it.

As for moving bumblebees, I don't know and will leave that one for someone else.

I found a bumblebee's nest this weekend.. looks like they made a home w/in the stone foundation of my old farm house. I just watched the activity for a while.. the bumble's were busy and bringing in stores.

I'm going to give it a try. I ordered the book that was mentioned on here a while back.

I'm really curious though about when and where to find the queen bumble bees too.

How do you get started?
    Troy

I hit a triple today..! I found a paper hornet nest, beelined my third yellowjacket nest in two week, and some nice bumblebees...!
    I'm was wondering if i can somehow get the bumbles boxed up...I checked them out a bit online. It appears one would have to attract a searching queen in the spring with a nestbox...
    Would pollen substiute work for spring feeding, until newly raised workers are providing pollen...? Does the queen need to be fed nector/honey , until new coloney is establishd..?
    Kevin M.

Here's a good bumble bee rearing book- I've heard good things about it anyways. Haven't read it myself:

http://shop.extension.umn.edu/Public...l.aspx?ID=1902
    Dulcius ex asperis

Thanks George,I tried ordering that book from there University online store...There seems to be some problem on the website, concerning an " error ", that they say they are working on correcting..I wonder if Amazon.com would have this book..."Befriending Bumble Bees"...
    Anyone know if theres another seller of this book, other than U of M ..?
    Kevin M.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    I hit a triple today..! I found a paper hornet nest, beelined my third yellowjacket nest in two week, and some nice bumblebees...!

just wondering what your doing w/ the yellowjacket nests when you find them?

This year all my little bird houses are filled with these huge gigantic bumble bees. They are soo beautiful. I hope they stay around. They are NOT those huge gigantic yellow jacket japanese thingy's either (they weren't around this year like they were last year...I heard the cold spells we had in spring killed them off - horray!!!)...they are the true blue Bumble Bee. They are soo cool and sooo gentle.
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast