Default Over winter in KY?

As a new beek, I'm curious what other beeks in or around KY or similiar climate winter in or with? 1 deep? 2 deep? 1 deep 1 medium? 2 or 3 mediums?

I have a new italian package I started last of April in 3 mediums and have a 4th medium honey super on it with excluder. Box 1 and 2 are primarily brood and box three is 50% brood and 50% honey/pollen. My other packages and swarm are in 1 deep with a medium and are not making a lot of progress on the mediums as of yet. We seem to be in a drought and nectar has slowed down, hopefully fall flow will be good and I have planted about 1/2 acre of buckwheat which should bloom around August 1st.

I'm already thinking about fall/winter and as my grandmother says "counting my chickens before they hatch" so to speak with hives surviving till spring 2008.

Tim
    West KY

I would recommend that you use either 3 med or two deeps to overwinter in Ky. If I were starting all over today I would use only Med for brood and honey supers as everyting would be interchangeable. Besides that I'm begining to get tired of lifting deep boxes full of honey!

Tim,
    I agree with Sutton completely. I used 2 deeps. I'm now moving to mediums now and wish I had done that in the beginning.

WayaCoyote
    Edmonson County, KY
    WayaCoyote