Thread: Wood carving

Default Wood carving

Anyone here carve wood? I need some advice as to an initial set of chisels.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Check out Woodcraft or Lee Valley and get a basic set of chisels. Be prepared to spend some $$, for good steel that will hold an edge. You don't have to go top-dollar, but don't buy a bargain-basement set. Are you delving into micro-carving, chip-carving,macro0-carving, large scale sculpting or what? The set of chisels you buy depends on what you want to do and your preference in carving style. Most important is to learn how to sharpen correctly,using good stones and abrasives. I had a bunch of my great-grandfather's old Buck Bros. chisels. He was a pattern maker back in the steam railroad day. I like vintage Buck Bros, Two Cherries.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I've done a little. The places beegee mentions are good sources... I think the one is called "woodcrafter's supply." Spend the $ to get a good set, you won't regret it. I did a few large bowls by hand (as opposed to by lathe) and got great use out of a "Lancelot" which is like a chainsaw blade that you put on an angle grinder. Awesome for roughing in!

I also highly recommend the discussion board at:
    http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/dcboard.pl
    Really good people there, very knowledgeable and helpful.

P.S. 7/18/07: beegee is right, it is "Woodcraft." Woodcrafter's Supply is a local store that closed and I miss them terribly.
    Last edited by Hobie; 07-18-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by beegee View Post
    Are you delving into micro-carving, chip-carving,macro0-carving, large scale sculpting or what?
    I am going to try my hand a tikis. A good portion of my yard is tropical and semi-tropical plants and I thought a few tikis poking out amongst the bananas and such would be fun.

Mostly pine, palm logs and Sweet Gum.

Keith

Thanks for the advice guys!

Keith

I saw that you didn't get responses for "awhile". Didn't make a comment because I have NO experience with that but really like waterfowl carvings in wood. Good luck with that!.