Thread: Outer covers

Default Outer covers

I want to build my own outer (telescoping) covers for my hives, but I am having a hard time locating acceptable metal (aluminum flashing-type) to cover the wood with. The only flashing or Aluminum coil stock I can find is much too narrow to cover a hive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    -Jason

Lightbulb

Go to your local Heat and Air company and ask them for their scraps or what they would charge to make the covers for you.

you can buy the coil stock at home depot or lowe's. it's 24" wide in a 50' roll. works great, have a few nice white covers myself. i've also bought flashing in rolls that were 24" wide, but prefer coil stock.

http://www.alcoahomes.com/alcoahomes...=3&styleId=847

Smile

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...minum+flashing

Look at this thread, prices of flashing and width are embedded in the responses...

Along with a great Diagram on how to cut the metal...

If you know anyone that does vinyl siding work they have a lot scrap aluminum coil 24 in. wide. They normally will sell this at a good price. I ask one guy and he gave me almost a whole box. It was toupe on one side and white on the other. It made a lot nice tops.

I bought 20" galv in a roll from a local building supply (McCoys). Then cut it 23 3/4" long then center this piece on outer cover, bend the sides (long side) down and tapping with a small hammer at the bend to finish forming the bend. Make a small cut at the corner so it will fold under the ends (short side) of cover. Then bend the ends down, tapping with small hammer to finish bend. Then use small nails about 1/8" from the edge of the tin to hold it down. Only place it might allow moisture in is at the "tip" of each corner. It would be such a small amount that I don't worry about it.