Default Ants eating my camper: help please

I have a colony of ants in the ceiling of my camper! They entered through a rotted spot on a ceiling vent before I caulked it, and now are chewing their way through the wood of my ceiling. Here's a pic of the debris falling from the ceiling: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...at/ants002.jpg

The hole is a fingerhole for lifting the panel, that's not ant damage . They're medium-sized black and red ants perhaps Allegheny mound ants from searching the internet. I fear they're becoming extensive; I first noticed a small debris pile well over a month ago. I've put bait out but I want them dead ASAP; they're eating my investment! If I remove the ceiling vent is there something I can spray onto the exposed wood and tunnels that'll get the colony? Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Ben Brewcat; 06-26-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Ben -

My experience with ants in this type of situation is to remedy the moisture. As long as there is moisture they have the means to survive. Borax (20 mule team) works pretty good. If you can get the powder up in the ceiling, they will take it. Mix a little honey with it.

However, if they are Allegheny mound ants, I've not had first-hand experience with them. Mostly carpenter ants.

- Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2007 at 09:57 PM.

I agree with barry that water (and or soaked wood) is the lure. I would likely use one of those water activated bug bombs after I had covered the camper with plastic.

Thanks folks! I'll check out the Borax, but I'm not familiar with the water-activated bombs. Is that reasonably safe for me to sleep in there after bombing (once aired out and whatnot)?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO