Default uncapping tank choices

hoping some hobbyist out there can help me make a decision. I am getting ready to buy a uncapping tank. I am currently at 7 first year hives and will probably (i can already hear the silent laughing in the background) stay within 8-12 number of hives range . I have narrowed it down to BetterBee's and BrushyMountain.
    http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=715\
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com....asp?pcode=295
    Mann Lake's looks good too but the shipping costs kind of knock it out. I am local to Brushy Mtn. Anyone have a chance to compare the two? BetterBee's looks like a nice compact tank. Anyone that has it and wished they had a larger volume for the cappings?

I use the one from "Mann lake" but my sugestion would bee to buy one that you can "hang" uncapped frames in while you uncap more, I need to buy a larger one but I am waiting of the right one. honeyman46408=cheap
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

A buddy of mine bought the one from Brushy and dropped it off at my house yesterday. We're going to do some extracting this weekend. I haven't really looked closely at it yet. I'll let you know first impressions later today

Dave

ok, still haven't used it but here's a first impression
    short story first
    I bought a used extractor from iddee a couple of weeks ago
    my friend and I plan to extract this weekend and I think he felt the "need to contribute", so he bought this uncapping tank
    it's just two tupperware tubs that nest inside each other
    they nest such that there's a fairly large void between them where honey can collect, so I guess if you just bought some tubs from the store you might not get that feature ( you could fix that with some 2"x4" blocks)
    they do not appear to let you hang extra frames in the tub like honeyman mentions, that would be a nice feature
    besides that it looks like it will do the job
    personally if it was me I think I would have built a tank out of a hive body with a bottom on it
    actually I'd build a hive body from 1"x12" stock so you could hang a medium frame in it and have about 5" under the frame for honey to collect in
    paint it with food grade epoxy and your good to go
    of course on my current schedule I'd probably get to it around 2009

Dave
    Last edited by drobbins; 06-21-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Default Betterbee tank

I ahve the betterbee tank and it works fine but I have not been able to compare it to the Brushy one. The lid may come in handy on the brushy one but I think either would work well. Since you are local to brushy I would grab it.

Spend the extra money and get the stainless steel tank from brushy mountain.
    It will hold 20 frames with the decapping rack on it. But if you remove it, then you can put 35 in it. It has a big metal screen in it to let the honey drain out of the cappings. Just my 2cents worth.
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

I have a Walter T. Kelley Stainless water jacketed capping melter....works great for me...

Smile

Hi there,
    I was looking into an uncapping set-up earlier this season. The tanks mentioned in this thread are awesome, but expensive: I ended up making a tank from a Stainless Kitchen Sink. Here's the link:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ing#post229357

I've used it often this season and it works very well. Its not as nice as the commercial ones but it was inexpensive!

Adam
    adamf7@gmail.com