Default Plastic Hoby Extractor

Has anyone ever tried the hoby extractor from Dadant? I only plan on keeping two hives, and was looking at this simply for the economics of it, and was curious if anyone had tried it, or maybe using one now.

Thanks for all input.
    Ron

If you have a local Dadant...you could go by and get some of their broken ones and maybe have enough to put one together. All the reports that I have seen say they are JUNK.
    Curtis

Look at brushy mountain and see if they have 1 you like. If they do then
    you could drive up there and save on shipping. Also remember this I started
    with 2 hives 3 yrs ago and now have about 20. So you might need to rethink
    the little one and look at the big ones. But look at the 1 that has the bottling tank on the bottom its manual but worth looking at. I got that 1 and love it it turns easy with 9 frames. But take it from me 2 hives will be your starting point and you will grow from there.
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

Curtis,

I see you are in Madison Heights Va. How are things in the Greater Lynchburg area. Dadant has a branch there in Lynchburg don't they?
    Ron

Let's see.....A guy that had to be talked into getting his first hive last fall, went to two hives and a nuc this spring, back to two hives now.
    Looking to buy his own extractor this year.
    Learning to do cut-outs and trap-outs.

Doesn't plan to have more than two hives, total. HA HA

Default Way to go!!

Ok, you've got this fish hooked, but I would really like to play with it for a while before I expand. You must really be getting geared up to just sell bees, seeing that you sold your extractors. My schedule has bee crazy for the past few weeks. In fact I just came off of a 48 hour double shift at work, so I am just glad to be home. I wanted to look in on the hives today and see what was going on, I am guessing that is not going to happen today looking at the sky! Maybe tomarrow. I need to come over and purchase a bucket and honey gate from you before Saturday. I will call you later.
    Ron

Look for a used stainless steel one. I got a 2-frame SS unit from a guy who was upsizing for $50. A thorough wash and I'm good to go. They come up quite a bit on ebay, too.

Right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1 2 frame
    and
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1 4 frame
    Last edited by Hobie; 06-21-2007 at 05:14 AM.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Yes, Ron we do have a local Dadant. Everytime that I go in there, there are broken plastic extractor parts around. I asked Mark about them and he just rolled his eyes and said "Don't ask" while shaking his head side to side. Save your money and get a S/S extractor.
    Curtis

I bought one last year and have had no problems with it. The box had a lot of Chinese writing on it with a picturesq scene of wildflowers. It is pretty much plastic except for a washer or two. I believe it would be ok for light duty use. I use it for one or two supers at a time because it is light and easy to clean. Madison...