Default using package cage in beevac

I've been lucky so far when it comes to cutouts or swarm retrievals, but know eventually I'll need a bee vac. I printed out the besource plans and was thinking about how I would design if I had to from scratch. I been trying to think of a use for the bunch of empty 3 lb package containers hanging around and it seems they would be great to modify and use as inner boxes for a bee vac? Has anyone else tried this? Are there any reasons not to?
    Last edited by berkshire bee; 06-16-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Works good on the one I made put a hole in the box that the shipping cage is in with a gate on it to control the air flow through the shipping cage.
    Dan

A three pound shopping package fits into the kelly bee vac quite nicely.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

That's exactly what I did. From scratch I used a super and mounted the package cage inside and put plywood on one side and plexiglass on the other
    so I can see the bees inside. I mounted the vac on top and it works great.
    Tom

Lightbulb Brushy Mr. vac

A few years ago I bought the BM vac that uses the shipping cage. I modified it with a one gal shop vac placed into the box with the cage, made it into a one piece unit. It worked ok for quite a while as long as you regulate the air and use a short hose, but it could kill a lot of bees and I did.

Now I have made a unit based on the one that Iddee showed us. Again I had to modify it to have a one piece unit by putting the vac in the same box, but the design is top drawer. I have been using a 12 foot 2 inch hose and hardly kill a bee.

Look into it, I think it is the best you could make.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam