Default Maxant 1400 - Lead Solder?

I picked up an older stainless maxant 1400 in excellent condition and wanted to know if lead in the solder used on the seams is something I should be concerned about. To me its a non-issue as the honey isn't stored in it and more lead is probably consumed by most of us in the water flowing through the pipes in our houses, food we eat etc. What are your thoughts? Is it worth painting with Camcoat?

Thanks
    Jeff

Smile

Last year I jumped up to a Radial Stainless after a lifetime of using a Root Galvanized and soldered two frame unit. After 40+ years eating honey extracted from that extractor, with little effect on my mental being I seem to be ok; of course someone might debate that!

Call Maxant and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff McGuire View Post
    I picked up an older stainless maxant 1400 in excellent condition and wanted to know if lead in the solder used on the seams is something I should be concerned about. To me its a non-issue as the honey isn't stored in it and more lead is probably consumed by most of us in the water flowing through the pipes in our houses, food we eat etc. What are your thoughts? Is it worth painting with Camcoat?

Thanks
    Jeff
    I'm an overkill kind of person but anything old that I pick up stainless, galvanized, or aluminum that will be in contact with honey I coat with Camcoat. Is it necessary?.. probably for galvanized especially... probably not with stainless but I figure... why not... I don't know where the metal has been... some of it has looked pretty rough when I picked it up....
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

It is definitely a deadly situation. You should send it to me imediately for proper dispersal.

Did it kill the masses that ate honey from it for the last 50 years? I doubt it.