Thread: Imirie shims

Question Imirie shims

Has anyone used any of these shims? I put them on all 5 of my hives above the brood chambers and placed the supers above to provide an upper entrance. 2 hives have made a mess of the extra space, 1 ignores it and the other 2 won't move up into the supers. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?
    Thanks for any replies.
    DM

I tried a few of them only to find out that they violated the bee space and they just filled in the space with burr comb or drone comb. I quit using them.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Got to stay on top of it

I use them regularly. It is important that you maintain empty, drawn comb ABOVE the shim or it will eventually get filled with burr comb. I regularly place a empty super from the top of the stack under a full or nearly full super that is just above the shim. The full super moves up one level, empty super goes just below on top of the shim. If I find a few frames getting full of honey I will scoot those over and move empty, drawn frames from elsewhere in the super in their place.

I have found that if let go the space most often times gets plugged with drone comb and can then be used as a drone/varroa removal tool. Drone larva makes good fishing bait! Just scrape the done comb off the tops of the frames with your hive tool.

Can also be used as a defacto queen excluder as usually queens are reluctant to cross that gap - so long as there is no burr comb built in there.

I also like to place a shim under the escape board at harvest time to provide a space for the bees to escape to and a entrance to exit the hive from.

I find them a very useful tool to have around. For further info google George Imirie's "Pink Pages".
    BEE-L snob since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

Default good points, Billy!

the actual location of the Imirie Pink Page on the proper use of his shims is:
    http://www.christopherpetree.com/doc...999:imirieshim

I find them as an overblown, hyped, marketing item with someone's name applied to them, that is a complete waste. As George is straight forward in his manner, and I appreciate his "no bull, this is the way I see it" appraoch, let me say....They are CRAP!

All the downside items noted so far are correct. Burr comb, adds drone comb, etc.
    Every positive thing that can be had by using them can be achieved by other equipment, or many times, with no additional equipment at all.

I would never buy one, never take the storage space to keep one, and never use one.

Smile Thanks guys

The shims are coming off as soon as I get off work.
    Thanks for your help.
    DM

Only time I use them is to make space to introduce a queen cage on top of the bars (temporary), and occasionally on top of an un-notched inner cover (to add entrance and ventilation).
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Wow, some of you guys REALLY don't like them. I have had no trouble with them. Mainly used for upper entrances.

>Has anyone used any of these shims? I put them on all 5 of my hives above the brood chambers and placed the supers above to provide an upper entrance. 2 hives have made a mess of the extra space, 1 ignores it and the other 2 won't move up into the supers. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

I think they are handy to provide an entrance somewhere without drilling a hole in the box.

They are also handy to make enough space for a pollen patty or a queen cage.

I don't really use them for the intended purpose.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My supers are over 30 years old, almost every one has an Imrie exit. Here in California we call them "cracked off corners".

Default sure do miss George

Thanks to whoever is preserving George's pink pages. I just had to copy in this quote from him:

"Ever since my shim was endorsed and put on the commercial market, many users have contacted me by phone, E-mail, or letter asking me for advice about some problem with their beekeeping; and they use their purchase of the shim as a “justification” for contacting me. Let me say LOUD AND PUBLICLY that no one needs any justification to ask me for help with their bee problems provided that they are indeed attempting to UPGRADE their knowledge, and not to argue the merits of the BEST bee, annual or biennial requeening, or the use of Terramycin." -George Imirie

I never personally knew George but read his posts with a big smile. He scaled back from 100 hives to 5 or so after he got into his 90's. Apparently a few years ago he met a girl, gave up the last 5 or so beehives and moved to Florida. I have often wondered if he is still alive. He was all about 2 things 1) teaching and 2) maximizing honey out of his hives and would pull double the honey everyone in his area would pull. I can just see this 90 year old out there reversing the brood chambers (deeps I believe) every 2 weeks for the spring buildup.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I made my own shims from some scrap wood. They do not have an entrance hole drilled in them. I only use then when applying mite treatments or adding teramyasin(sp) pattie etc.