Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peaches

Default peaches

well folks I traded a very nice jar of this season's honey for a nice plumb bag of tree ripe peaches at our local farmer's market. mumm... good. now a peach is always good, but a tree ripe peach is beyond doubt the very best. now the only mistake I made was I should have stopped off an bought some blue bell ice cream to have made the best... incredible.

anyone else enjoying a taste of fresh spring fruit?

I'm surrounded by them. Doesn't everyone know that Johnston South Carolina is the Peach Capitol of the World?! In fact, according to recent statistics, Edgefield County (Edgefield, Johnston, Ridge Spring... all those famous towns) produces more peaches than the entire state of Georgia. Now that's embarrassing when a little hick community in South Carolina grows and exports more peaches than the Peach State.

Peaches and Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream... what can be better?!

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Now hold on just a doggone minute there. How can you claim to live in the peach capital of the world, when you don't even live in Peach County.

http://www.peachcounty.net/index.cfm

>Peaches and Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream... what can be better?!

Georgia Peaches and Blue Bell Ice Cream of course.

My peach trees are loaded this year. Ill eat all peaches that I can and then Ill freeze the rest with a coating of honey.

I gained 5 pounds just reading this thread

Stuffing myself on strawberries right now.

Just found my first ripe blackberries this morning.

I can nearly taste that cobbler now, "A LA MODE"!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    well folks I traded a very nice jar of this season's honey for a nice plumb bag of tree ripe peaches at our local farmer's market. mumm... good. now a peach is always good, but a tree ripe peach is beyond doubt the very best. now the only mistake I made was I should have stopped off an bought some blue bell ice cream to have made the best... incredible.

anyone else enjoying a taste of fresh spring fruit?
    You have honey already? You have peaches already? The peaches around here look like fuzzy green golf balls.

You're making me jealous; then I remember you live in Texas...

As for the local produce, well, the corn is nearly a foot and a half tall so we ought to be enjoying fresh ears any ... uh ... month now.

(and the rest of yalls is just as mean!)
    JohnF INTP

Yesterday I just went out and took a look at my hard, green proto-raspberries. *sigh* But anyway. looks like the girls did their job and in a few weeks I'll be putting fresh raspberries on my ice cream! that is, assuming any ever make it into the house...
    The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams. -Henry David Thoreau

I've been gorging on strawberries myself. They are so sweet this year! Peaches are at least a month off and rasberries are maybe 3 weeks away. Thanks for th epost, I think I 'll go get in the freezer for some icecream and have some more!

johnf first sezs:
    You're making me jealous; then I remember you live in Texas...

tecumseh replies:
    you are quite correct johnf... this flat commercial ground just break my heart and the native are always restless.

the johnf adds:
    As for the local produce, well, the corn is nearly a foot and a half tall so we ought to be enjoying fresh ears any ... uh ... month now.

tecumse grins:
    got fresh ear corn in the frig johnf. sadly this tyically translate into the summer dearth will soon be upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    tecumse grins:
    got fresh ear corn in the frig johnf.
    Sure... Rub it in.
    JohnF INTP

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm Corn.
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Ooooh, fresh peaches, yummm!
    We may not have peaches or strawberries ready quite yet but the Rhubarb has been making many a pie here abouts.
    Now Rhubarb is a taste which I never quite acquired but John loves it. Luckily we get lots of good fruit shipped in from y'all southerners. It may not be as fresh as tree picked but it beats not having it at all.
    Sheri

uuuuu.... rhubard + strawberry pie now there's a treat.

to all....I do hope the summer brings all of you the best and sweetest fruits and vegtables of this great land. and a bit of nectar also to spread over the peaches.

god bless you all...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Ooooh, fresh peaches, yummm!
    We may not have peaches or strawberries ready quite yet but the Rhubarb has been making many a pie here abouts.
    Now Rhubarb is a taste which I never quite acquired but John loves it. Luckily we get lots of good fruit shipped in from y'all southerners. It may not be as fresh as tree picked but it beats not having it at all.
    Sheri
    Ooooo! That's something that we need to pick up. It's been a while since I've had a juicy rhubarb pie. While my family was living over seas in England we would stop by the local stands and pick up fresh rhubarb than make pies or eat the rhubarb plain with sugar. You couldn't beat that rhubarb!

-Nathanael

We have a small orchard of peach and plum trees. For the past 6 years or so, I only plant one variety of peach that I know does well in this area. Well, apparently, one of those peach trees was not the variety as marked, but it was covered (literally covered) with peaches that are smallish and ripen early, and I got so many peaches off that one little tree that I am sick of making peach jelly and peach syrup. Our other peach trees are just about to have ripe fruit, so I'm really in for trouble
    Same story with the plums, one of the trees bears small early fruit that is extremely sweet, and I have made more jelly than I will use probably in three years, I have frozen plum juice in the freezer, and I canned plums in heavy syrup a few days ago. This has been an extremely good year for peaches and plums in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    We have a small orchard of peach and plum trees. For the past 6 years or so, I only plant one variety of peach that I know does well in this area. Well, apparently, one of those peach trees was not the variety as marked, but it was covered (literally covered) with peaches that are smallish and ripen early, and I got so many peaches off that one little tree that I am sick of making peach jelly and peach syrup. Our other peach trees are just about to have ripe fruit, so I'm really in for trouble
    Same story with the plums, one of the trees bears small early fruit that is extremely sweet, and I have made more jelly than I will use probably in three years, I have frozen plum juice in the freezer, and I canned plums in heavy syrup a few days ago. This has been an extremely good year for peaches and plums in this area.
    Send the left-overs to all your friends on BeeSource!

-------

I'm glad someone's getting a good crop. The peaches in SC got hit hard with that Easter freeze. The farmers say they'll get a pretty good crop although the peaches may be smaller this year. Maybe they'll charge extra for "Rare Midget Peaches!"

BTW, has anyone tried donut peaches? Except for their higher price, they're pretty good.

-Nathanael
    Last edited by Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary; 06-14-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Well, Nathanael, I would send them to my Beesource friends, but they would rot before they got there. Tree-ripe means they won't last longer than a couple of days. In fact, there's a species of butterfly that is abundant here on our place that takes out any fallen fruit before I can get to it. They are on it like flies on rice, drinking the juice from the fallen fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Well, Nathanael, I would send them to my Beesource friends, but they would rot before they got there. Tree-ripe means they won't last longer than a couple of days. In fact, there's a species of butterfly that is abundant here on our place that takes out any fallen fruit before I can get to it. They are on it like flies on rice, drinking the juice from the fallen fruit.
    Good point. Send it to us after you've already made it into jelly/jam/syrup.

We at beesource just want to help you out of your predicament.
    JohnF INTP