Default Using the Dadant hobbyist filters

I got three bottling filters, the style that sit in the top of a bottling bucket. 200, 400 and 600 microns. Does one have to run the honey through three successive buckets to use all three filters? It seems like with them nested, the filters will be sitting on each other and plug up. Am I looking at this wrong?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I use them stacked and haven't had problems. It depends on how many particles are getting stopped. If you have a lot, then yes they will clog and it would be best to do the course filtering first followed by the finer filters in seperate actions.

I just use one of them. Last year I just ran it through the 600 and called it good. Nothing has crystalized yet.

Arrow

I asked Dadant the same question a few years ago, they recommended stacking all three filters into 1 bucket. I've used this method 3 times and every time I've never seen any wax \ foreign particles caught in the bottom 200 micron filter. Really all you need is the 400 micron filter, but I'd use the 600 on top of the 400 so it don't get clogged so quickly.

Last year I just used the 600. Although I did buy them from Dadant and got all three, I never asked, just picked the finest.

Wonder what the value of stacking them is?

If you run it through the 600/400/200 with the 200 on the bottom as you suggested, betrbekepn, what is accomplished with the larger filters?

Like Ross, nothing from last year has crystalized yet, but I thought filtering was to get rid of "stuff" in the honey, not to avoid crystalization.

Linda T in Atlanta
    "You never can tell with bees...." Winnie the Pooh
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com

If you just use the finest filter (the 200 micron), it will get clogged very quickly. If you filter out the big stuff and then the medium sized stuff, the finest filter will drain faster.

Crystalization has to start with something (every snowflake as a little bit of dirt in the center) so filtering that removes even the smallest particles staves off crystalization.

I stack the 600 and the 400. Using the 200 would make my impatient girlfriend go bonkers.

Once all the filtering is done, letting the honey sit for a couple of days (longer for thicker honey) allows the finest gunk to rise to the top where it can be skimmed or lifted off with cellophane.

I use a paint filter as a pre-filter, and that gets 98% of the impurities out. Then I have the 400 and 200 nested, and they pick up most of the rest and there is very little clogging, but I only do <20 gal at a time.

Rick

I couldn't see filtering and then filtering again and then filtering again, so I just use the finest one by itself - but next time I'll try nesting them and see if my honey is clearer - which I guess should be the result. It looks clear now, but as Apuuli says, it must have tiny bits of something.

I wish Dadant sent instructions with their stuff. I ordered wax tube fasteners from them and they didn't come with instructions and the filters also came with no guidance.

Linda T frustrated in Atlanta
    "You never can tell with bees...." Winnie the Pooh
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com