Thread: colony removal

Big Grin colony removal

I went Saturday,(06-02-07) and removed a colony about an hour and a half from my house. I had to work off of a ladder for eight hours to transfer the comb to a deep hive body, but it was well worth the effort. You can imagine my delight upon discovering two swarm cells. I found the queen shortly after and quickly moved her to the new hive. This was the first removal that I have done, though I have captured many a swarm. I was very impressed with how docile these bees were. Even as I took a skill saw up the side of the wall, they did not even bother to be aggressive towards me in any way. I only received six stings, which was due to crushing bees with my fingers. I believe I could have avoided being stung if I would have been more careful. Of course removing the colony was quite a spectacle for the community and passer-bys. I answered many questions about bees and asked a few of my own. The colony was there for four years to six years, (depending on who you believe). They have swarmed in the past years, and no one knew of any beekeepers in the area. I ended up with eight full frames of brood and nearly a five gallon bucket of comb honey. I did not put all the drone brood in with the hive, just a little bit. The next morning, at my house, I split the hive. Leaving three frames of brood with the queen, and five frames of brood with the queen cells, and I filled the remaining space with frames of drawn foundation. I believe I am going to have two very nice colonies of feral bees to add to my apiary.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...1180969214.pbw

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...1180969380.pbw
    Last edited by WVbeekeeper; 06-05-2007 at 10:37 AM.

those are some sweeet photos. That is cool that you found the queen. She looks nice.

Awsome photos! Where did you get the split frames?
    Last edited by newbee 101; 06-04-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    "To bee or not to bee"

I used some extra frames I had. I split the top bar in two with a table saw and the end bars with a jig saw. I ties the bottom together with wire next to the end bars for a hinge. In the brood box I nailed in some nine frame spacers, they worked great for holding the top bar together. 3/8" endbars won't bend as much as 1/4" enbars. I discovered this by accident after stretching wire into a few of each. I wish that I would have had some metal eyelets for the endbars, because the wire went a little slack after it ate into the endbars. I thought I seen somewhere to buy these. Does any one know?

Those are nice pics. I wonder how old that post office is. Sheathing boards that wide put in at a 45 hasn't been standard practice in probably 75 years. My Dad took down several very old schools in your neck of the woods (Marlinton & Green Bank) about 20 years ago that were built like that. Every piece of lumber in them was chestnut -- I would guess it was all milled on site. The joists were rough cut 2x12s (2-1/4 x 12-1/2) that were a full 24 feet long. They also had a lot of "decorative" worm holes. Cabinet makers fell over themselves to buy the stuff.

Default metal eyelets

I get my metal eyelets from Kelley's.
    you must endeavor to persevere

Yeah, what I don't make myself. I buy from Kelly's.

I just did a removal from a house in southeastern Ky with that same shingle siding over hardwood boards...I was very glad I had a chainsaw with me
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.