Question Polystryrene Hive

What kind of glue is good to glue the plastic frame rest to the hive in the Beemax polystryrene boxes?

Thanks!

Default Polyurethene

They recommend polyurethene.

Gorilla Glue is one brand name.
    Beware -- it's messy and expands to fill voids.
    "If you're doing all the dos, you ain't got time to do the don'ts"

Exclamation Don't use polyurethane glue!

I'm using the Bee Max Hives and I haven't needed to glue the rests in at all. Once your bees get in the hive they'll glue it on with propolis. If you use Polyurethane glue it will expand, push the rests out and make a mess. If you do want to glue them I'd use a hot glue gun or ELMER'S Wood Glue.

-Nathanael
    Last edited by Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary; 06-04-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: "or ELMER'S Wood Glue"
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

I bought the polystyrene hives and the recommended glue from BeeMax. The glue expands over time, and I mean really expands, so if you buy it, use it very sparingly. I disagree with Beaches about whether it is necessary. The plastic frame supports are critical. The bees will wax/propilize the frames to the support. Because of the polystyrene, you cannot use the hive tool like you would with a wooden frame as you would gouge the softer side. I glued the whole thing together and am happy with the result. Just remember to use the BeeMax very sparingly.

Ron
    Hobbyist

Default Just let 'em rest

I too have a BeeMax hive. Putting the thing together this winter with the polyurethane glue was messy but pretty easy to do. However, I did not glue the plastic rests... nothing to clamp and make sure they were on right. Therefore I just set them in the hive and put the frames right on top. As Nathaneal said, the bees just glued it into place. I've had no problems thus far.
    (but hey, I'm new at this! )
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    I bought the polystyrene hives and the recommended glue from BeeMax. The glue expands over time, and I mean really expands, so if you buy it, use it very sparingly. I disagree with Beaches about whether it is necessary. The plastic frame supports are critical. The bees will wax/propilize the frames to the support. Because of the polystyrene, you cannot use the hive tool like you would with a wooden frame as you would gouge the softer side. I glued the whole thing together and am happy with the result. Just remember to use the BeeMax very sparingly.

Ron

I've had one BeeMax hive for over a year now and never had any trouble with the frame rests. I popped them in (w/o glue) and have never needed to worry about them again. I have installed five more packages into BeeMax hives and the rests are the farthest thing from my mind. The bees take care of them. I'm writing this, not to disagree or argue with Ron, but because I'm afraid you'll try to use the Polyurethane glue (recommended for BeeMax) on the rests and you'll end up with a big mess. Again, If you do want to glue them use a hot glue gun or wood glue, something that won't expand.

Another tip. After using the polyurethane glue to put together your supers, scrap off the excess stuff that oozes out of the corners. That way the paint will adhere better, and if you scrap off the stuff inside, the bees will have their proper space.

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

I used exterior wood glue (elmers or titebond, don't remember which). It worked fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Proper frame rest installation

Hi all,

I thought it was worth clarifying that the plastic frame rests included with BeeMax do not simply sit on the rabbit. There is a slot just below the rabbit into which the short side of the frame rests slips. This is a tight fit and the bees do a wonder job of glue them in, but it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of glue just in chase. The frames rest on the tip of the long part.

Cheers,
    Shane