Hybrid View

Default Native Pollinators thread

Hi, I have been reading up on learning more about raising various native bee pollinators and looked at beesource today and saw some people discussing Blue Orchard Bees and bumblebees. So, how about a thread on Native pollinators? I would be willing to be a moderator, and maybe others could volunteer as well as my beesource time has become quite limited lately. Any interest?

something like,

"Native Pollinators - discuss raising and other issues of concern for pollinating bees other than the honey bee."

Default Native bees

I'm interested. I raise Osmia Lignaria, Osmia Cornifrons and a few bumble bees.

I'll post a link to this thread in the main bee forum to see if that corrals up any more interest.

I think it would be interesting reading though I don't have much to add to the discussion.

Default Bumble Bee Economics - Heinrich

This was an interesting book overall. Bernd Heinrich is a biologist from VT. He's written a variety of books that I've found intersting for the non-biologist. In this book, he studies the Bumble Bee from an energy consumption / gathering perspective.

I made / placed a Bombus Box to try to attract BumbleBees this spring to no avail -- perhaps I'll get a queen next spring.

I too would enjoy a forum on Native Polinators. I probably have littl to contribute, but I sure would enjoy the learning.
    "If you're doing all the dos, you ain't got time to do the don'ts"

Smile

I considered raising alternative pollinators at one time but realized my pollination business with honeybees was more than enough work.In this area the other bee species are doing fine and I enjoy watching them.If the thread will only be about native pollinators , then alfalfa leafcutters and blue orchard bees wont qualify.