Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Native Pollinators thread

Hi, I have been reading up on learning more about raising various native bee pollinators and looked at beesource today and saw some people discussing Blue Orchard Bees and bumblebees. So, how about a thread on Native pollinators? I would be willing to be a moderator, and maybe others could volunteer as well as my beesource time has become quite limited lately. Any interest?

something like,

"Native Pollinators - discuss raising and other issues of concern for pollinating bees other than the honey bee."

Default Native bees

I'm interested. I raise Osmia Lignaria, Osmia Cornifrons and a few bumble bees.

I'll post a link to this thread in the main bee forum to see if that corrals up any more interest.

I think it would be interesting reading though I don't have much to add to the discussion.

Default Bumble Bee Economics - Heinrich

This was an interesting book overall. Bernd Heinrich is a biologist from VT. He's written a variety of books that I've found intersting for the non-biologist. In this book, he studies the Bumble Bee from an energy consumption / gathering perspective.

I made / placed a Bombus Box to try to attract BumbleBees this spring to no avail -- perhaps I'll get a queen next spring.

I too would enjoy a forum on Native Polinators. I probably have littl to contribute, but I sure would enjoy the learning.
    "If you're doing all the dos, you ain't got time to do the don'ts"

Smile

I considered raising alternative pollinators at one time but realized my pollination business with honeybees was more than enough work.In this area the other bee species are doing fine and I enjoy watching them.If the thread will only be about native pollinators , then alfalfa leafcutters and blue orchard bees wont qualify.

Actually you can trap local, native blue orchard bees and use them as your stock to develop. They are said to be widespread throughout north America. I'm not sure on the Alfalfa bees, but I understood they where native to some large area in the states. Now the Japanesee hornfaced are not native, neither are some of the greenhouse bumblebee imports.

At any rate we should probably just say "alternative pollinators".

I have the book "BumbleBee Economics" on my desk to read. Looks interesting and was recommended.

Bumblebee Economics is a great read.

Just received: http://befriendingbumblebees.com/

Interesting book. I will be trying it next year.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Benson; 06-05-2007 at 07:35 AM.
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Looks like I got confused by the latin names (too late , too tired) and should take a refresher course on bee species:
    http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html
    Found this too and will read it later:
    http://www.sare.org/publications/bob.htm
    There is a lot of interest in using blue orchard bees in the almonds and tests have been ongoing.
    Several years ago ,certain vocal proponents of 'native bees' operating on the erroneous assumption that honeybees were hurting native bee populations, tried to get beekeepers excluded from areas in California,Florida and Australia. Research showed this was not the case as there was a difference in foraging times and preferred flowers.
    Last edited by loggermike; 06-05-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Big Grin

Soooooo....yeah there probably would be some interest in an' alternative, native, or other bees ' forum.

Ok, I guess the next question, probably should have been the first, is...

What does Barry think?

Others feel free to add as well.

[SIZE=5]WWBD?[/SIZE]

LOL

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benson View Post
    Bumblebee Economics is a great read.

Just received: http://befriendingbumblebees.com/

Interesting book. I will be trying it next year.

Keith
    I just got mine too. I read the whole thing in a single sitting. Its really fun. Can anyone recommend an field guide to ID the fuzzy ladies with? based on what this book says, I want to avoid collecting rare native bumble bees.

I went to the website for the plans for the little boxes and such but I don't think it is updated as yet.

This is gonna be cool.

Keith

I'm about half way through Bumblebee Economics. Here's a quote to learn from!

"A worker must, over its life, not only bring in as many resources as it expends, it must, in addition: 1.repay the colony the cost of having produced it, and 2. make an income that can be ultimately expressed in terms of production of sexuals."

I'll weigh in on this. I think a Native Pollinators forum or an Alternative Pollinators forum (my preference) is a great idea. Count me in. I'm pollinating a friend's greenhouse tomatoes with bumble bees I got from Koppert and I've got a wild bumble bee colony living in my attic.

Michael, I'd be happy to help moderate such a forum.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benson View Post
    I went to the website for the plans for the little boxes and such but I don't think it is updated as yet.
    The plans for the starter boxes are up now.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by George Fergusson View Post
    I'll weigh in on this. I think a Native Pollinators forum or an Alternative Pollinators forum (my preference) is a great idea.
    What is the chance of a new forum for other pollinators being started? Is this something taht might actually happen?

Keith

well I haven't actually asked Barry yet via PM, just letting the idea simmer, but send him one off if you want to.

alternative pollinators is something I am looking into, so I would participate.

Done.

Keith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast