Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building boxes

Cauls can be made easier using 2" celophane packing tape. Just wrap the caul in tape and glue won't stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Cauls can be made easier using 2" celophane packing tape. Just wrap the caul in tape and glue won't stick to it.
    Excellent idea. But, where do you get cellophane tape - do they still use cellophane in tape manufacture?

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    That thing is snappy.
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith Benson; 06-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Default Yep, glue holds boxes together

If anyone really wants to know what holds the boxes together, ask LtlWilli...

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219617

Cellophane tape I refer to is any scotch type 2" packing tape. Probably plastic these days, but you get the picture. Kelly Mehler that wrote The Table Saw Book taught me that one.

I use a dadoed lock joint instead of the standard box joint on all my boxes. I have found it to be just about as durable and with careful construction of my dado sleds, I don't need a jig to keep it square during assembly. The joints fit tight and are glued with TB3 and stapled with crown staples. For gluing I just lay the parts for several boxes butted together on a table so that their grooves/glue surfaces are all lined up in one line, then I just run my bead of glue down the grooves on one side and up the grooves on the other side of the line. Takes about 20 seconds to apply the glue to 5 or 6 boxes at a time. Then I tap them all together on the table (its a pretty long table) and go up and down the line and staple. Occasionally a joint is slightly loose but all it takes is a second with the speed square during stapling to keep it square. If I have one of my sons following behind me with the stapler as I tap them together, we can really crank them out.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    I use a dadoed lock joint
    Do you mean a drawer lock joint, or a sliding dovetail or a _____? To be on the technical side, a dado is a groove (slot, trench, recess) down the center of a surface of wood (metal, plastic, etc). A rabbet (rebate) is a groove down the edge (or end) of the material.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
    Do you mean a drawer lock joint, or a sliding dovetail or a _____? To be on the technical side, a dado is a groove (slot, trench, recess) down the center of a surface of wood (metal, plastic, etc). A rabbet (rebate) is a groove down the edge (or end) of the material.

MM
    This joint has a 3/8"x3/8" dado that is 3/8" from the edge on the end pieces (16-1/4" side of the box). The joining piece has a 3/8"x3/8" rabbet on its edge which creates a tongue that goes into the dado on the ends. I think the technical term is a Lock-Rabbet joint or Simple Lock joint. Sometime ago I guess I created my own term for it and have gotten used to calling it a "dadoed lock joint" which does not exist in any text. Sorry for the confusion.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Default Box joints

Beesource.com has plans for the "10-Frame Langstroth Beehive." Part of the instructions refer to the ". . .steps described on how to make a box joint from the PDF 'Box Joint files." But there is no such file that I could find. Can anyone either tell me where to find it (trying to contact Beesource is futile), or recommend a good source?

Many thanks!

Temple
    Raleigh, NC

It's not linked to the list, but found it for you anyway:

www.beesource.com/plans/boxjoint/boxjoint.pdf

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Temple View Post
    Beesource.com has plans for the "10-Frame Langstroth Beehive." Part of the instructions refer to the ". . .steps described on how to make a box joint from the PDF 'Box Joint files." But there is no such file that I could find. Can anyone either tell me where to find it (trying to contact Beesource is futile), or recommend a good source?

Many thanks!

Temple
    Raleigh, NC

Default box joint

Default ross has a good setup

i have been to Ross getting bees and he does have a good setup. i have taken some of his ideas and put to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12