Default Bee Vac Experiences

This is my advice for those who wish to use a Bee Vac. First they are great, maybe even a necessity.
    What I wish to talk about is the length of hose....
    I use 1" i.d. smooth wall hose.
    This has been my experience...
    4' hose......less than 1% fatality
    10' hose....about 40% fatality
    24'hose.....100% fatality (this being 50% dead and 50%very disoriented and finally death)

Use a short hose...period.
    My experiences.
    Curtis

6 ft. hose=0 fatality.
    long hose from vac to catch box.

Iddee is dead right about the long supply hose. (though I have used a four foot, non smooth hose and have a low mortality rate). Last time I used it I removed the hose entirely and just used the jug nose to suck them up. Then again, my vac takes forever since it is not strong at all. Sure I could close the vents and suck them up like candy but I'd have a lot more casualties. Most of my deaths are from the first few bees to hit the screen on the inside. Once there's a layer of hapless bees for the others to crash into they seem to do better. Eventually I'm going to hang a cloth baffle for them to land on.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

X:

The cloth baffle sounds like a good idea.

I find that when you first appraoch the swarm, you can cover one of the holes and things asre cool. After you get some of the bees in, close both and it works nicely!

I use the standard shop vac hose, six foot length and it seems to work fine. I have often wondered if there was a source for smooth inside walls as it has seemed to me that all that bouncing around would be detrimental. Anyone know where I can buy 2 inch dia. smooth wall inside hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy 2 inch dia. smooth wall inside hose?
    I'm just guessing, here, but I would expect that RV or marine sanitation hose would be smooth wall inside, for obvious reasons. Marine is generally 1.5", though.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

> Anyone know where I can buy 2 inch dia. smooth
    > wall inside hose?

Woodcraft sells smooth dust collector hose in 10' lengths in both clear and black.

Works extraordinarily well, used 30' of hose one time with only a handful of dead bees. I did have to whack/shake the hoses a few times though to clear clogs of bees which killed the suction.

Using a reducer to 1" at the hive end boosts suction to pull them into the hose instead of requiring high pressure the whole distance.

2" hose and 1" reducer

>Using a reducer to 1" at the hive end boosts suction to pull them into the hose instead of requiring high pressure the whole distance.

That's what is working well for me too. Sucks them up fast and with the reduced volume inside the hose, not nearly as many die as with my old vac system.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Smile bee vac hose;

I use a smoth inside hose that are of different length from 8 to 16 feet. the key is my hose is 2 1\2 in but at the end that sucks the bees i have a small reducer funnel down to 1 in , this gives you good suction ,but once in the hose the air flow is reduced and very few bee are killed. its like a water hose in reverse. a big hose with the end reduced give a lot of pressure. good luck ROCK.

OK so I will change to 2 1\2" hose.
    Thanks for the help.
    Curtis

Default Thanks for the tips

I am building one now
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it