Default Extractor Advice

Looking to move up to a radial motorized extractor and would like to get some opinions from users on the best unit for the money. I currently have 10 hives and would probably never have more than 20. I use shallow and medium supers and use some medium plastic frames (Permacomb). Thanks.
    Last edited by Sherpa1; 05-26-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Smile

I have a Dadant Radial Stainless Steel - 20 frame and it works great for me. I am thinking it is just a matter of preference. The only other extractor I've had was a motorized Kelly two frame (1960's vintage) so I don't really have a way to compare my radial to others.
    But I am very happy with my Dadant...

I got the Mann Lake 9/18 motorized. I have never regretted it. If I wanted more capacity I would buy two of them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a Dadant 6/12 that I bought used and it will extract 12 meds before I can uncap 12 more BUT always buy bigger than you think you need
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

The 9/18 Mann Lake sells new for about $850 and the Dadant 6/12 sells for about $1150. What accounts for the $300 difference? Does the Dadant have some advantage in craftsmanship or design? Thanks.

If the maximum number of hives the original poster mentioned would be no more than twenty, will the capacities of the machines mentioned be needed?

I too have been trying to figure which extractor to buy. Not a lot of specific info in some of the catalogs.

I don't see myself going over twenty hives in the next year or two, only five right now.

I also want a radial extractor and I assume that even a small radial extractor should be motorized. Is that correct?

"I don't see myself going over twenty hives in the next year or two, only five right now."

I started out to have NO more than 10 now my lemit is 30 soooooo
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

>If the maximum number of hives the original poster mentioned would be no more than twenty, will the capacities of the machines mentioned be needed?

Look at the price of one that holds half as much. It is not half as cheap. 18 frames is two full supers at a time. Can you get buy without an extractor with only a few hives? Of course. But if you're ready to buy an extractor, I would buy a real one.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was going to buy the variable speed Baldor motor 9-frame stainless from Brushy Mt. But for not too many dollars more, I got the 18-frame. I can load two supers and spin them while uncapping two more. I have around 20 hive right now, will probably stop at 50. This extractor should outlast me.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Michael or Beegee
    Does the Mann-Lake 9/18 handle Permacomb without any modifications? Thanks.

20 hives --- maybe 60 supers? Maybe more? I bought a used Dadant 12/20 when I had 10 hives. Now I have 30...

>Michael or Beegee
    Does the Mann-Lake 9/18 handle Permacomb without any modifications?

Yes.

I did have to modify it to take DE frames because they are shorter.

a little off topic but not far
    do radial extractors typically hold the frames with the topbar toward the inside or the outside?
    I would think having the topbar to the outside would mean the centripetal acceleration would compress the frame rather than put it in tension (a good thing) and position the slope of the cells (the cells aren't horizontal) to better extract the honey
    is that the norm?

Dave

Mine are topbars to the outside.

Does anyone have experience with the Fritz motorized units? They cost considerable more, but is the quality worth the extra bucks? I'm still debating which unit to buy for my birthday, anniversary, Christmas present from my husband. Since he's paying for it........

Mabe
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

I don't know. I use mine about 2 days a year. It was really hard to justify and if I hadn't found a great deal on a used one, I probably still wouldn't have one. I lusted after the Fritz too, but given the usage, I can't justify it. If you have a lot of hives, in the 100s, maybe it would matter. But then, at least some people think two cheaper extractors give you better throughput. I guess I'll just keep my old Dadant 20.