Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You can make up the nucs from a hive that is not a double deep yet. That is what I do. Sometimes packages do not get the double deep filled so I break them up into 5 frame nucs and overwinter them. A great tool to use. I love it!!

Michael Palmer - or others.

Is it too late to start up some 5 frame nucs? Last year I did queen cells in 5 frame medium nucs Aug. 5. None of them survived. Of course we had a bad fall flow and I failed to feed.

This year i was thinking about doing 8 frame medium nucs. I run all mediums so it is not helpful to do deep nucs

I don't think it's too late. I'm making another 100 this week, although with laying queens I catch tomorrow and Tuesday. I've wintered nucs in shallows and mediums, but use the whole box, in that case. I try to get them to fill the box with bees...a nice large cluster.

The nucs I make in early to mid-July, I use only one frame of brood...maybe another with a bit of brood or eggs. At the end of the month, and early August, I'd use a bit more brood...maybe two frames. I think it would be good for the new queen to lay at least a couple rounds of brood. That would take you to mid-September. You're in Ohio, David. There must still be a fall flow on then, and your queens would still be laying?

Default Making plans to overwinter nucs

Hi All,
    I read all the responses and would like to share the things that work for me.
    2006-07 was a funny weather year and beeks adjust to the bees needs?? I had 47 nucs at the end of Dec. and lost 7 by the first of March. Most of these were due to that cold snap in march.
    First, I reside in the far Northern part of Indiana and we do drop below -O for long periods. The most important thing I have found is to have a young queen around the first two weeks in Aug. This will get her 3? brood cycles before clustering. Some of my nucs are two deeps, some a deep and a half some are three (med. 6 5/8).
    Second, a good wind break with a southern exposure is more important then wrapping, I set them side by side with a 3.5" blanket of fiberglass insulation in a garbage bag sandwiched between them. This exposes the ends to avoid most of the moisture.
    Third, I make a candy board that fits on top of each nuc ( to collect the moisture and then feed them if they need it.) there is a top and bottom entrance. Keep them 6" off the ground.
    I sell nucs in the spring and local mated queens in the summer and this system lets me set up the same equipment for the late summer nucs to over winter. My goal is to over winter 60 nucs this year.
    Regards,
    Danny Slabaugh.
    Promoting Better Beekeepers by sharing what works for me.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    The wooden frame protects the sugar from the elements, and of course it would have a wooden top as well. In other words you would need to build a frame with cover for each hive, and then fill them with sugar.
    I wish I could see a picture of what you are doing..., but I do have an idea and so I'll go with that for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Michael Palmer - or others.
    The nucs I make in early to mid-July, I use only one frame of brood...maybe another with a bit of brood or eggs. At the end of the month, and early August, I'd use a bit more brood...maybe two frames. I think it would be good for the new queen to lay at least a couple rounds of brood. That would take you to mid-September. You're in Ohio, David. There must still be a fall flow on then, and your queens would still be laying?
    Michael and Peggjam and all.

OK, thanks. I will get to work on it! It has been a real good year for me so far, I have honey coming out my ears! We finally got a little rain and they are still working something (soybeans I think) and the goldenrod is looking good so may be a fall flow this year. I have a few hives that swarmed and have not built up very well so I plan to sacrifice them for nucs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123