Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 1984

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

anyone with unwanted swarms near midland mi, ill take them! 989 708 4152

Things are winding down here in Wisconsin as far as swarms go. It was the craziest year I've had for swarms. I started out with 3 hives and have caught 22 swarms since the end of may. I am running out of equipment and will be combining some of the smaller swarms. Would like to end up with around 15 good hives.

Received a call last Sunday about a swarm in at tree.
    Ran by one of my yards and garbed a swarm trap.
    It was to far out and up to shake out.
    We hung the trap in the tree as best we could and rebated with lemongrass oil.
    They moved in and we brought them home last night.
    Ozark Mo. 65721
    Zone 6b 1400'

7/6/2015 at 48640, in between midland and mt pleasant, incoming, and all MINE!! don't know where it came from, but a nice extra to my 2 hives i already had.

June,25-2015 9:45am sunny humid morning. Southern WI, US

Harley what is a teranov split?
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Harley what is a teranov split?
    You may have already searched this one out, but here's a good you tube video on doing a Taranov split. I just learned about it myself and I'm going to try it the next time one of my hives is ready to swarm.
    Dave Cushman's web site also has a nice summary with diagrams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GweGb35tY

Got a small swarm in the Raleigh Court area of Roanoke, VA today. (7/17/15). No more than a pound and a half, two at the top. Nice bees though. About 6 feet in the limb of a flowing bush of some sort. Caged the queen and will get the box tonight.

Still swarming here.

Came home from Vacation and found what looks like either a lot of scouts or a swarm in a nuc in my back yard. Didn't open the box since I'm not going to give them any brood and want to make sure they are anchored. I have seen a hive like this though were it looks for sure like you have a swarm and you open the box and it is only the bees at the entrance, nothing inside. I can wait until next weekend to see if there is a hive in there.

Hive in Leslie, MI swarmed twice on 7/23 both captured and hived. On 7/24 removed 20 QC's between this hive and another next to it. It then swarmed again on 7/26 not captured.

Hive in Ovid, MI swarmed 7/25 captured and hived on 7/26. Removed 19 QC / emerged Virgins from this hive alone.

Doubled hive count in one long weekend

Second hive swarm of the season today. Saw them about an hour ago swirl in mass commotion around the apiary and then end up about 40' up into the pine tree next to it. I really need to get shorter trees.

This area has a very dry spring, winter and fall. Around 4th of july we have a real Monsoon season until around Sept 1st. Really. Otherwise this is high desert/plains. Late rain late buildup and swarming every year. 1 swarm late june, very small. 4 swarms in the last 10 days, & only 7 lures out. 2 at least are large primary swarms, the old queen type. Late, but a good year so far. Most areas are done by now, here its just into peak swarm time. Placing about 20 lures this week. I love feral bees!

Was working in the garden picking arugula seeds when a small swarm buzzed right over me headed south - close enough that I ducked! Didn't have my glasses on so don't know which way they ultimately went.

I checked on my girls and everything seemed normal, but, they could still have come from my hive. Or, they may have come from one of the several neighbors who have bees. A check this weekend will hopefully tell.

Date: 08.01.15
    Zip: 86338

Caught 2 swarms this year. 1st on 4-11-15. They didn't make it. 2nd swarm caught on 5-17-15. They are doing great. Both caught in baited swarm traps.

Got a call this afternoon from a man in Shelbyville. Said there was a swarm on the overhang from his two story house. Since it is kind of late for swarms in michigan I asked if he could send pics. Wow went over there about 4 to 5 pound of bees. Swept them in box and let sit with hole towards bottom of box and the rest marched in. This is good because I have a queenless hive now I will just combine the two. All ot of equipment this year. Started with 4 of my own hives now have 23 hives from all the swarms, trapouts, cutouts and splits. Now to get them through winter so I can split some hives next spring and sell the nucs.

I was out in the yard today and could hear a "roaring". When down towards the bees, and they were flying all over and congegrating on a branch. Big swarm. I came into the house and went back out and could hear the "roaring" again. The swarm isn't there on the branch and are flying all over. I go and look at the hives, and the one they are pouring back into.
    I waited for them to swarm again, but they didn't. Odd.

I got a call on a 5 lb. swarm in an apple tree yesterday. These will be a good addition to a weaker (possibly queenless) hive just in time for goldenrod.

8/28 I checked a 10 frame 2 deep hive and found 10 capped queen cells. I thought I was doing a good job keeping an eye on their progress, and had been working on a schedule of every 7 - 10 days.
    This hive definitely looks like they have swarmed. Now I'm hoping we continue to have warm weather for awhile, as I try to decide what to do with what remains of the hive.
    Any suggestion ?

Itty bitty swarm in tree above the hives today (9/2)-- gonna guess it's from one of the seven hives below it. We're not sure which right now. Softball sized ball, pretty tiger striped queen, about a frame and a half of bees. Put them into a nuc, donated some stores, a frame of open and capped brood and an empty drawn frame with a couple naked frames for them. They seem to be content. Feeding them along with the other hives.

Now to figure out which hive threw them and see what their queen situation is.

Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast