Page 87 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I'm a beginner so not sure what I'm looking at but could this be a swarm getting ready to leave or are they just cooling off on this hot night? http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...714122112a.jpg

They are just cooling off from all the heat we had the past few days (mine are doing the same as well).

Caught a swarm in Lake Echo Nova Scotia on July 12th.

I did a cut-out on Sat 7/14, the bees moved higher in the roof than what I could get. (No bee vac at the time. Major bummer!!!) Thought they may have had more comb in the roof, but I was wrong. Sometime Monday or early Tuesday they fled the coop. They didn't even go into the hive that had their comb as w/in 2 days there were SHB that have about taken over. Cut out was off of N. Wawaset Rd. in West Chester, Pa. They swarmed into the pine trees about 50 yards from the original hive because the home owner said that others had noticed a lot of bees flying around that area on Tuesday. They were no where to be seen last night when I got there.

My first swarm of the year was on Feb. 12, 2012. Very, very early....So far I have caught 11 swarms throughtout the year.

Caught a volleyball sized swarm today in Livermore, CA. The swarm was actually seen on a cyclone fence gate near our job site yesterday and I figured they would be gone, but they were there again today so I decided to give them a home since I knew they wouldnt last long trying to build comb next to a side walk!! Its amazing how many people walked within three feet of it and it was about 5' off the ground and they never even seen it, including a co-worker who unloaded a piece of equipment right next to it and didnt see it either!!LOL Anyhow, they are a VERY light bee resembling sunkists and very mellow. Oh ya, spotted the queen and when I returned with the queen catcher she had disappeared into the mass!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Spotted a swarm August 31 and waited til the next day July 1 to get them. Good size swarm and not sure if it came out of one of the hives but ill be combining it. To late to start anew. About 40' up a pine tree, they call me crazy, and I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by jpelley View Post
    they call me crazy, and I might be.
    You are a beekeeper, afterall!

I had a swarm come to me! It moved into an empty hive on my stand. It's rather late in the year, but what the heck, new tenants welcome. Her coloring looks like she came from my swarmed bees this spring. Too cool

Caught 2 swarms 8-17-2012, they were very samll hope they have time to build up before winter, which hear in Central Ar is several months away and have soy beans flowring not far from my yard.

Received a call this evening from a lady asking if I dealt with honeybees. I'm thinking "Yeah, another call that I have bees in the wall of my house." But she said, "I have a honeybee swarm in my rose bush - and yes, they are honey bees." She said that they arrived a short while before she called and the swarm seemed to still have bees coming to it.

I asked where she was from - "I'm in South Fork, PA near Johnstown in Cambria County." Well, being I live in Summerville, PA - that's an 82 mile trip one way. Just a "bit" too far for me! But I did go down through the list of "Bees On The Net" and found her 3 different beekeepers that lived less than 46 miles from her. I even called her back with a 4th number I found on the internet. She said the swarm was basketball sized - so it seems like a good sized swarm.

Just odd to have a swarm this late in the year. I would think if a beekeeper doesn't get them, and they find a place of their own, their is little chance they could survive the winter. The goldenrod is just starting to bloom, so they don't have much time to buld comb and store honey before the winter. This is the latest I've ever heard of a swarm around here. What are the bees thinking?

8-19-12 huge swarm right out of one of my best honey producers I just happen to be driving by this yard as they came out. Aw crap I said, as they swirled around and slowly moved to a large maple tree about 50 yards away, 30 feet up. Too many branches and too far up. They were two basketballs plus when they settled I put out a trap hive with some lemon grass oil and old comb but no luck.
    There's not enough sheep dogs and the wolves are coming!!!!!!

Started out with 2 hives three months ago. Lost one to Wax Moths three weeks ago and my second swarmed yesterday. I caught it yesterday and was able to "coax" it back into the hive but my wife called me today at work (8-26) and said it just swarmed again. I'll try again in the spring.

Obese-Wan, if it's not normal for bees to swarm this time of year in your area, you should get in that hive to see if some critter drove them out. That's awful. I feel for you.

First year beek and my spring package just swarmed today. They are 25 feet up in a sassafras. I'm going to try and cut the limb down tomorrow and catch them. The good news is my hive still has a ton of bees. It's hard to imagine the swarm came out of my hive with as many that are still left.

Caught my third swarm in less then a month yesterday. It was about 2 feet off the ground and went in the box with one shake of the tree branch. Hope they make it this late in the season. The last swarm I caught was overwhelm by SHB and left. My other hives are strong and keep the SHB at bay. Checked SBB oil trap in other hives and found almost 100 dead SHB in a week.

Caught a big swarm hanging from a branch on 8/22. Worceter ma. 01610, About 12' off the ground. Got them easy

Lost a small swarm out of one of my hives last night September 8, 2012. West Point Ca 95255. 3000'

A "neighbor" that lives 1 1/2 miles away stopped by our house this afternoon. He told my wife he had a swarm of honeybees on the side of his house. He got my phone number from my wife and called me saying he had gone away last Thursday and returned on Sunday. When he returned home, all these bees were on the side of his house. He didn't want to "bother me" on Sunday, so contacted me today.

When I asked if he could take a picture, he said he would. Called back later and said all the bees were now in the crack where he had taken off a roof, but did take a photo of bees flying around. I went over and checked tonight and sure enough they are honeybees. Oddly though, when I smelled by the crack, I could smell the unmistakable smell of goldenrod being cured. Is it possible that within a few days, the bees could already have comb built and they are storing honey?

This is an old house with 3 different layers of plank on the walls. The plan this weekend is to take off the siding and start cutting the plank where the bees are to find them and then remove them. I know it's late to do a cutout - but it's also late for a swarm here in PA. There seemed to be no residue where you could tell the bees have been there for a while - and the home owners swear they weren't there before this weekend - there is a porch directly below the entrance that they used everyday and never noticed ANY bees.

He plans on putting attaching a roof sometime this year - so the bees gotta go. Once we cut into it and find the colony - I should be able to tell if indeed these bees are a swarm that just moved in.

Northwest: good luck. I was a part of three cutouts this year and only got the queen 1 of 3 times. A month ago i would have said get some eggs from another hive and go for it. At this stage of the year I would wonder about the chances of a new queen being fertilized well. I have seen drone brood in some hives, but i am not seeing as many flying here in Indiana. Maybe you could try a cutout and add them to another hive if you don't get the queen. I just don't know on 9/10

Perhaps a more seasoned beek will have better advice. Please let us know what happens.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Page 87 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast