Page 85 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2366

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

June 7, and June 9 are my lattest swarms.
    The last swarm was at a Putt Putt Course that had to be closed due to the swarm. They already had built a comb in the nuc box when I checked it on Monday June 11th I have a picture but it did not load.

June 9th swarm collected at a Mini Golf Course. June 11 inspected nuc it is in, found queen and comb built on lid.

http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/...combKing-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    June 9th swarm collected at a Mini Golf Course. June 11 inspected nuc it is in, found queen and comb built on lid.

http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/...combKing-1.jpg
    My 2nd swarm of the year was 3 weeks ago, sorry I did not post it then. There in a 10 frame deep, and tomorrow I'll throw a super on top.
    Not as many swarm calls as last year, but Alway ready.

caught my 30th swarm yesterday.

you can add two more to that 30 and make it 32 swarms so far.

Just caught my first swarm in a trap this afternoon at 3:30 in Stewiacke, Nova Scotia.

I just happened to be standing there when the swarm moved in. Pretty fun to watch.

Adam

Got a swarm call this morning in NE Iowa. The swarm was the size of a soccer ball and had been there since Friday afternoon. Only 6 feet off the ground and it was textbook easy to collect it! I think of the approximatley 5 swarms I've gotten, this one was the largest and the easiest to get to.

Sherill

Just hived another huge swarm today. I think that makes eight swarms so far for this season.

just came in from hiving my first swarm ever ,,,was awesome & very lucky they decided to set on a sapling as they were as high in near by trees 30 or more feet

Just hived swarm #9 for this year. It came from a new package from April. It was over 30 feet up in a pine tree. I was going to let them go, but my son-in-law was determined we were going to get them, so I let him have them for his first hive. Started the year out with 2 second year hives, and 4 packages in April now were up to 15 hives. Crazy!

Got a "swarm" call Monday evening June 18. I was told the swarm was on the side of a house about 15' high and showed up on Friday June 15. I went Monday morning, and there was a cluster of bees on the side of the house right up at the eve on the last row of siding. I held a frame of drawn comb by them, and got quite a few to climb on, but nothing like a swarm should do. I put it in the hive on the ground hoping they might move in and vacate from behind the siding. Because while it does appear to be a new swarm, they are settled in behind the siding. Owner is going to remove the siding to see what is going on. Summerville, PA 15864

Dubois, PA 15801. Got a call this afternoon that a swarm was on the side of a porch. It had just arrived and when I asked how big it was, he said about the size of a gallon jug. Went up to find a huge swarm on the corner of a porch under the eve of the 1st story porch and under the floor of the 2nd story porch. (Much bigger than a gallon jug!) Part of it was nestled in between 2 2X8's. Used a bucket and it took two bucketfuls to get the whole swarm dumped into the hive. I'm guessing it is probably a 6 pound swarm. Biggest of the year that I've seen.
    The guy said yesterday he had seen some bees flying around. Today even more were around and then the swarm arrived. Interesting enough, where the 2X8's were attached to the bricks (a brick house), there was a hole there. I have to wonder if the bees that showed up yesterday were scouts and once the swarm got there, decided the hole wasn't big enough. That or the queen just hadn't got moved in yet. Or maybe it was just a swarm that landed there.
    At any rate, it's now on my property. I put in a drawn comb frame that has some capped brood in it to make sure they stay.

Another swarm today from a package installed in April. They were bearding all day yesterday, and took off around 2:00 this afternoon. It was a pain to get them, but we did.

Last edited by stevedc; 06-24-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Nassau NY 12123
    Junes 24th My nuc I installed two weeks ago looks like it Swarmed. Can this really be? I had it in a 2 deeps.

Summerville, PA 15864 Wednesday June 27th

Got a call from my wife late this afternoon. There was a huge swarm on a peach tree in our yard.
    I had a meeting to go to, so once the meeting was over, came home and set a piece of plywood directly under the swarm. Put a bottom board in place with 2 hive bodies on top of it and shook the branch. (Easily within reach - about 4' off the ground.) 1/2 - 3/4 of the bees fell into the hive, the rest fell in front of it.
    The bees immediately began crawling in, and within 20 minutes, most were in the hive, with the rest clumped around the hive.
    I would assume this swarm was from one of my hives - but it's the biggest swarm I've ever captured!

I caught a Swarm, Marlborough Massachusetts, 4/27/12. Temps in the 50's with intermittent rain nearing dark, but the swarm had been there for half the day already. 20' up in red maple tree. The parent swarm was less than 50 horizontal feet away.

Saturday June 30 - Summerville, PA 15864 I got a call in the early evening that a guy had a swarm of bees on his deck. He said that they had been on the ground before for several days and flew away and today they were back. I asked what the bees were clustered on and he said "The floor of my deck." I asked if I would be able to put a hive right beside them and he said yes.
    I had to use two supers put together as I'm out of equipment. Got over there, and in the middle of his deck on the floor was a small group of bees. (Maybe 100 bees.) I asked if the swarm from a couple days ago was bigger and he thought so. I started to wonder if these were scouts that got left behind, but couldn't figure out why they would have moved from the on the ground to the deck.
    I put the hive beside them and used a piece of cardboard to scoop them up. As soon as I put them at the hive entrance, they started fanning and I started watching. Yep, there was a queen with them - so this must be a very small afterswarm. I'll bring them home and add a frame of capped brood so increase their size. So, I went from getting the largest swarm on Wednesday, to the smallest one today!

Yesterday June 30, catch two swarms. One large., one smaller then normal . 12 so far this season.

Grabbed another one in Camas WA, about three pounds. That's ten for the year so far...

Page 85 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast