Page 85 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1984

Thumbs Up Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

1ST Swarm of the year. Hived itself in a dead out 45640 5/13/14 Checked them today queen is already laying.
    Last edited by wadehump; 05-14-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: NOT DONE

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Caught a swarm from one of my hives today, write before a big storm came. hope they like their new home.

Hived a softball sized swarm at our local Food City. Big Stone Gap, VA 24219

Scouts checking a trap. Don't think its from my apiary; they're flying the opposite way. No activity at trap in my apiary. This one is a couple hundred yards away. Marietta, Ohio

One of the local bee guys just got a swarm 2 days ago,funny thing was they were arguing about it being too early that morning.

Just captured my first swarm from a hive I brought home last evening, knew it was extremely full, but no time to inspect yet. Approx. 3# swarm 40' up in a hickory tree. Cleveland, OK 70 and partly cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by KILLERBEE View Post
    Just captured my first swarm from a hive I brought home last evening, knew it was extremely full, but no time to inspect yet. Approx. 3# swarm 40' up in a hickory tree. Cleveland, OK 70 and partly cloudy.
    how did you get them down from 40'?
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Used a 24' ladder then climbed up and out on a 2" limb, held a bucket under the cluster and jarred the limb as hard as I could with my free hand. Lowered the bucket with a rope, climbed down and shook them into a new hive. All the remaining bees flew down and marched in within the hour. Already moved them to their new spot.

Swarm caught today in Siloam Springs, AR (72761). Came from a bee tree in my neighbor's yard. Heard them buzzing from about fifty feet away and got their in time to watch the cluster form on a branch about 10' off the ground. Snipped the branch and hived them - hoping they stick around!!

I caught my first swarm this spring April 4th.
    I have caught a total of 28 swarms so far this spring in White County, Arkansas.
    I have 12 trap outs going and got 14 more to setup.

I am super-glad to see we Okies are starting to pick up swarms. I believe due to recent semi-drought, we have not seen as many swarms here in Oklahoma; when we do, they are small, about football size on average. I do hope we get more swarm calls as the cold May thaws up a bit in a week or two.

Cheers!

Picked up two more swarms last night. Around 4-5 lbs of bees. Both about 1 1/2 feet off the ground. I sure hope they are all this easy this year. I'm sure I just jinxed myself. Still having fun with this swarm catching. 83350

There is a shortage of bees in my area of Oklahoma due to the severe wildfires for the past several years. (The prolonged drought has contributed) I look forward to the days when the bees can reestablish themselves and swarms are common.

Swarm moved into a 6 frame deep nuc size trap some time today.

I've seen 3 FB posts yesterday and today with pics of swarms in or just outside of Lincoln, NE

Quote Originally Posted by imthedude View Post
    did you get them?
    Sorry dude, didn't purposefully ignore you, been away to the beach for some razor clam digging. I did not get them, unfortunately there was nothing left to get. There were a dozen or so drones and about the same number of workers wandering around a branch. I'm guessing there was a small swarm there a day or few earlier that left some lingering queen pheromone on the branch.

picked up a good-sized swarm at our local white cap supply today. they had clustered on the bottom a piece of fabrication equipment and were all under the beam. i'm bad at estimating weight, but i'd guess 5 to 6 pounds of bees. they nicely covered the frames in a 10-frame deep with some left to still wander into the box.

photo(2) (Large).jpg

after the initial brush and shake and a few subsequent attempts, this is what remained. they seemed pretty willing to walk into the box if i could get them close to the entrance.

photo(3) (Large).jpg
    Last edited by imthedude; 05-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Swarm moved into a hole in my porch column, yesterday (5/21). Going to have to do a trap out. Pretty sure they are from my own hive. zip 84321

First swarm call May 19, 2014 Sad thing is had already moved again.
    Ashtbula County Northeast Ohio

First call tonight. Earlier in the day a guy had a pretty good size cluster on his house and a small cluster on a low branch by his tree. He didn't know people collected them so he was trying to figure out how to get rid of them and came across my "ads" at some point. Unfortunately, he didn't contact me until 9. The swarm had moved along when I had him check again before my brother and I made the drive (about an hour one way).

Swarm was in Rock Island, IL. It's coming!

Illinois, IL, Iowa, IA, Quad Cities for anyone searching on those keywords.

swarmcall.jpg

Page 85 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast