Page 84 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

I found out one of my hives has swarmed. Probably around Memorial day. Malvern Pa. The tough thing is this hive had swarmed already this year so this is the second time this queen has been out of the hive this year!!! MY WORD!!!

Caught one swarm today from one of my own hives. It was huge at about 5lbs and around 15 ft in an alder tree 25 yards from the "home" hive.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

6/2/12 5:45pm swarm from hive in apiary clustered on my apricot tree about 12' up. This morning after working a 20 hr shift the night before, I climbed up on a ladder and cut them down and shook them into 2 8-Frame medium boxes. This was the 'real deal' as opposed to the 'rehearsal' cluster the other day[same tree]. They left later on 6/2 than they did on 6/1 and remained there until this morning when I sprang into action. I checked them when I got home at 3+am; I had received a call from my wife while working that a swarm event was occuring..... She's my 'bee mentor'/watcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    I found out one of my hives has swarmed. Probably around Memorial day. Malvern Pa. The tough thing is this hive had swarmed already this year so this is the second time this queen has been out of the hive this year!!! MY WORD!!!
    They swarm one queen at a time, so, not the same queen.

Refer to my post on pg. 74. It's the same queen that swarmed 2x this year. First time was April 14th. Second was Memorial day give or take.

Yesterday at 10:30 a.m. I received a call about a warm in a water spigot at the fairgrounds 2 blocks from my house. Cluster covered the head of a stand pipe with a two to three bee layer.
    At 11:08 a.m bees where in a 5 frame nuc and on the way home with me.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Yesterday Sunday June 3. Got a call right after we got home from church that there was a swarm about 2 miles from my house. Got there and found it in a small bush. Just enough room to get my hive directly under it with about 6" to spare, snipped the branch and gently lowered it into the hive and shook it. There was a small cluster 2' away, so once I had the swarm hived and the lid on, I shook the rest of the bush. By evening, all the bees were in the hive so I brought it home.

I'm guessing they probably swarmed on Saturday as they were wet from the rain we got yesterday morning. A good sized swarm 3 - 3 1/2 pounds. Must be from a feral colony.

Nevermind what I said about swarm season being over!!!!!

Just received a call this afternoon about a small swarm on a bush in someone's front yard in Brookville, PA 15825. I'll get it after I get off work. It's been cooler and cloudy all day, so I'll have to ask when the swarm arrived.

Swarm in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, June 4th. Picture: http://i.imgur.com/oNJd0.jpg

Wow, Tiwilager - that's a good sized swarm!

My "small" swarm from yesterday is actually not much more than the size of a hand. I guess they showed up on Friday and they had a small piece of comb drawn. The small willow tree they were on - is only about 2" around at the bottom, and they were mostly on the trunk. I shook them, and while most fell into the hive, some fell on the ground. None of them were fanning - so they almost seem queenless and when I left (I just left the hive there) most were in the hive, some were on the side of the hive and some were back on the tree. I'll stop by at lunchtime to see if they have gone in or what.

I was actually incredibly lucky. It was the first swarm I have caught. It was pretty cold out (12C, 54F), and the bees weren't moving at all. They were also on a very small branch as you can see, so I just clipped the branch and put the whole thing into the hive. Removed the branch and replaced frames when I put them with my other 2 hives.

small swarm moved into my TBH june 1st in coward sc.

78953. A swarm moved into one of my traps at a friends place about 60 miles away. He is going to bring them to me tomorrow.

Sorry for the late posting... I'm a first time beekeeper who went from no bees to two hives overnight. Two different swarm traps, 30 yards apart, caught bees in the same weekend. Noticed the bees on Memorial Day...5/28. Location...Fond du Lac WI 54937.

cuaght one swarm yesterday and 2 today

In the Swarms, Trap Outs and Cut Outs forum, I've been telling about my sister calling last Thursday because she had a bunch of honey bees checking out the cracks and crevices on the outside of their house. I got a hive, frames, foundation and lemon grass oil set up and bees immediately started to investigate it. I noticed some fighting going on, so brought another hive over and added another hive body onto the first hive. Thinking they could decide if they needed a large hive with two deep hive bodies, or just a single deep hive body.

Bees were investigating Friday, Saturday, and Sunday too. Lastnight I decided to add 1 frame of drawn comb, just to try to "seal the deal" and I put it in the two body hive. Sometime today, a swarm moved in!

I got into it tonight as I only had 5 frames in the top hive body and OH MY!!!! 2 - 3 *'s of bees hanging from the inner cover, bees on the 5 frames in the top hive and the bottom hive filled with bees. This must have been one HUGE swarm!!!!!

Corsica, PA 15829 This morning was warm and sunny - in the high 70's.

Drawn comb, particularly if it is old is a good draw. I have been using it the last two years. Haven't caught as many swarms as some, but enough for me.

Congrats
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

6/10/12 Swarm#2 in same apricot tree as Swarm#1 on 6/1/12[few posts up], hived quickly once spotted when we got back from lunch.

6/11/12 Swarm#3 again in apricot tree, waited until evening to hive this colony. I'd run out of frames, so had to run up to Mann Lake in Woodland, CA from some prefabbed supers, painted with frames. Did the run in just over 2 hrs. and had the cluster in the new boxes by 7pm.

I'm concerned about Swarm#1... See this post for further details.

6/11/12 - Got a call from a home owner about a rather large swarm that had moved into their hot tub. Went over to inspect and found about half the swarm on the outside and the rest of them inside the pump compartment. The owners said she got to watch the swarm land on the side of the tub and she promptly snapped a picture and showed me, its about a 7 pounder atleast! Will be removing them in about 40 minutes.

This year has been crazy for swarms!! I have two other established colonies to remove on Friday, one is in an irrigation box and the other is in a tractor tire, if everything goes right they should be just right to replace my laying worker hives I dumped out last week!! Will also be moving the hives this weekend to another yard in prep for star thistle!! Seen some plants starting to head out already!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Second swarm in a month, outside of a shed in The Dalles, Oregon. Old hive inside the shed wall keeps drawing them in! So taken two in Camas, Washington in the last couple weeks, as well as started a local trapout today!

Page 84 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast