Page 79 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2367

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

We captured a swarm (~5 lbs) from one of our hives last Sunday (4/29/12) in Lewiston ME. Temp maxed out near 60 deg F. It had been rainy for several days and cleared up on Saturday. We performed hive inspections on Sat and couldn't find the queen in the hive that swarmed. Pretty sure she was 10 feet behind us and 14 feet up the whole time.
    Last edited by Ghostwheel; 05-05-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Pete Schlax Jr.

5/5/12 Another in Western NC
    5 lbs swarm from my Russian Hive
    65 ft in top of a pine tree
    1:00 pm partly sunny, Thunderstorms threatening.
    All are now safe in a new hive.
    Last edited by Onekill; 05-06-2012 at 05:55 AM.

This thread is great, but it would be more helpful if it was broken into zones or states.

Quit complaining and go catch a swarm. Found a swarm had moved into one of our bait hives today. Murfreesboro, TN.

Blah blah blah!

Swarm in Summerville, PA 15864

Came home after being gone all day, and as I'm getting out of the car, I notice a swarm in a cherry tree about 30' from my beehives, about 7' high. Probably a 2 1/2 - 3 # swarm.

I cut the branch with the swarm on it, and laid it in front of a hive which was on top of a sheet. They immediately spread out and started heading to and into the hive. I kept watching for the queen, and sure enough I spotted her. Nice bright orange color.

But I don't think this swarm was from any of my hives.

5/3/12 Stockton, CA - Picked up about a 6# swarm about 4' high in a bush, easy in, easy out. Called at about 11 AM. Partly cloudy, no wind.

5/5/12 Pleasanton, CA - Person called about a swarm in his tree but I couldnt make it to pick it up. Called at 2:30 PM. Sunny, warm, windy.
    Coyote Creek Bees

5/5/2012 East Liverpool,OH
    Beautiful hot humid day. Small 2# swarm high in a tree over a house. Retrieved from atop the roof using a swarm bucket on an 18" extension pole. It worked great.
    Joe and Heidi S.

5/6 caught, donated to the local bee club. Not quite sure if it was mine. They landed on the back of a nuc box I hived a swarm in earlier in the week. Saw them in the air while cutting the grass and watched them cluster there.

Southern Vermont. About a 5 lb swarm 8 feet off the ground in a pine branch. Hived successfully and now sitting in my apiary. Love free bees.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Got this one today in Fayetteville, NY. Sunny, 70'F... picked them up at 7:30PM... was told they were in the tree since the early afternoon. About 6' off the ground... 3 lbs of bees? Judge for yourself... First feral swarm I've heard of from around here...

We captured a swarm (~4-5 lbs) from our second hive yesterday (Sunday: 5/6/12) in Lewiston ME. So both hives swarmed this year. Temp was close to 70 deg F and they swarmed between Noon and 1 PM. This was pretty much a repeat of the swarm last Sunday. Rainy during the week and cleared up on Saturday. Only this time, they gathered on a hemlock branch ~8 feet off the ground. Much easier to deal with! I hope this is it.
    Pete Schlax Jr.

Got an email last night that a lady has a swarm in a tree about 15 feet up in a tree. She emailed me around 4PM that a swarm had moved into the tree. I was not home until late and got the email after 1PM. Going out this morning to see what I can do. I have a bait hive available to hopefully get them to move in on their own. I also have a small step ladder and I made one of those swarm removal tool that might work if they are clustered on a branch. However, it sounds like they are clustered in a V on the tree.

The bad news is that it rained a little last night and it is going to storm today. I still have about 45 minutes until I am able to head out and check on them. All the while, the sky is cloudy and grey along with strong windds. I hope I am not going to be too late.

Cloudy, with a very good chance of rain. 56F with up to 26MPH winds. Yesterday was in the upper 60's sunny and calm winds.

Update: Was able to get 1/2 the swarm into a box. The swarm was actually 25 feet or so up in the tree. Left the box in hopes that the bees would all move into the box. Contacted the landowner after work to see if they had moved into the box. Said they all went right back into the tree and around 4PM the swarm took off. Said there was a few bees around my box, but she does not think the swarm moved in. Oh, well. Should have checked my mail sooner and I could have done this yesterday.
    Last edited by FindlayBee; 05-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

3-4# Swarm on a swarm trap in Akron, Ohio 44333. Swarm came right before a thunderstorm. Moved them to Canton Saturday night and installed them in a hive Sunday.

5/4 got a swarm call, they moved 5 min before I got there. 5:30p 27320 NC
    5/5 another call, 2-3# swarm in the eave of a local business about 10 ft off the ground. 2pm 27320 NC
    These are now residing in a new topbar hive.
    Experience is better than theory.

One of my hives swarmed yesterday. it only moved 2 feet from the hive and lay there on the ground. Most of them moved into a nuc box that i had handy, but I could not see the queen. i gave them some sugar syrup and I'll check it again tomorrow. Location Strathroy Ontario.

Caught a swarm on sunday after church from one of my hives. 05/06/12 It was 8 ft off the ground in a apple tree, easy catch. Funny thing is that it swarmed from a hive that I was looking for the queen to remove her the day earlier. I didn't find her, but I did get to see the virgin queen emerge that was replacing her as I was going frame by frame removing queen cells.

Found and caught 3 swarms this afternoon in my orchard. The orchard is in full bloom. First time I ever have caught more than 1 swarm at a time. I am really pumped this year. This brings my total so far this year to 4. Running out of equipment to hive them. I am ordering more tomorrow. My hive count is up to 14.

Eastern Wi.

The weather was finally good today. I went to my yard located in Dover, NH and found three swarms in the same tree. I had a feeling one hive might swarm but not all three. Good thing I brought nucs with me. I was planning on taking frames to relieve the pressure anyway.

Page 79 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast