Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1766

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

There is a shortage of bees in my area of Oklahoma due to the severe wildfires for the past several years. (The prolonged drought has contributed) I look forward to the days when the bees can reestablish themselves and swarms are common.

Swarm moved into a 6 frame deep nuc size trap some time today.

I've seen 3 FB posts yesterday and today with pics of swarms in or just outside of Lincoln, NE

Quote Originally Posted by imthedude View Post
    did you get them?
    Sorry dude, didn't purposefully ignore you, been away to the beach for some razor clam digging. I did not get them, unfortunately there was nothing left to get. There were a dozen or so drones and about the same number of workers wandering around a branch. I'm guessing there was a small swarm there a day or few earlier that left some lingering queen pheromone on the branch.

picked up a good-sized swarm at our local white cap supply today. they had clustered on the bottom a piece of fabrication equipment and were all under the beam. i'm bad at estimating weight, but i'd guess 5 to 6 pounds of bees. they nicely covered the frames in a 10-frame deep with some left to still wander into the box.

photo(2) (Large).jpg

after the initial brush and shake and a few subsequent attempts, this is what remained. they seemed pretty willing to walk into the box if i could get them close to the entrance.

photo(3) (Large).jpg
    Last edited by imthedude; 05-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Swarm moved into a hole in my porch column, yesterday (5/21). Going to have to do a trap out. Pretty sure they are from my own hive. zip 84321

First swarm call May 19, 2014 Sad thing is had already moved again.
    Ashtbula County Northeast Ohio

First call tonight. Earlier in the day a guy had a pretty good size cluster on his house and a small cluster on a low branch by his tree. He didn't know people collected them so he was trying to figure out how to get rid of them and came across my "ads" at some point. Unfortunately, he didn't contact me until 9. The swarm had moved along when I had him check again before my brother and I made the drive (about an hour one way).

Swarm was in Rock Island, IL. It's coming!

Illinois, IL, Iowa, IA, Quad Cities for anyone searching on those keywords.

swarmcall.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    First call tonight. Earlier in the day a guy had a pretty good size cluster on his house and a small cluster on a low branch by his tree. He didn't know people collected them so he was trying to figure out how to get rid of them and came across my "ads" at some point. Unfortunately, he didn't contact me until 9. The swarm had moved along when I had him check again before my brother and I made the drive (about an hour one way).

Swarm was in Rock Island, IL. It's coming!

Illinois, IL, Iowa, IA, Quad Cities for anyone searching on those keywords.

swarmcall.jpg
    This swarm is back today, hoping to go after it shortly.

I had a swarm from one of my hives that I spotted yesterday just as they were balling up high in a tupelo tree. this was yesterday about 2pm and today over 24 hours they are still there - about 30 feet up - too high to climb. All my swarms in the past have moved on within just a few hours if I wasnt able to get to them. I put out a couple of 4 frame nuke boxes yesterday with drawn comb in them and put a couple more drawn frames in an old deep I let sit out - one of the nukes got some attention late yesterday as did the old deep box which had several scout bees exploring it, but now no activity in any of my swarm boxes. Is this normal for them to be out this long without moving into their permanent residence? Anyone have any experience capturing swarms high in a tree?

By the way, this swarm appears to have come from the mother hive of a split I made only about 2 months ago.

02645, Soccer ball size at shoulder height on apple tree branch in back yard, getting a box ready will get in about an hour , I hope

Got one from 40' last week. Read back on this very post.

Caught 5 swarms tonight in good old Rupert, Idaho. All were 3-4 lbs. It was a great night. Suppose to be around 80 degrees tomorrow. Should be another good day. That makes 14 total so far. 83350. Started the spring with 12 hives, now up to now up to 26.

5/22/14 #5 Swarm West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406, 11:00 am skies clear and totally cloudless, wind 2-3 mph, temp 84. Volleyball sized swarm into nuc sized swarm trap baited with LGO, 4 foudationless frames, and 1 frame drawn comb. Swarm chose box 9f eet up in tree facing south over box 9 feet up on screened porch facing south. Watched the whole choosing process. Very fun and interesting.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Hi got my first swarm yesterday eve 4foot high in a apple tree in my back yard from my last year hive i am in Lawrence county Kentucky zip 41264

5/17 - Norwalk CT 06853 Italians, 2nd year hive. Swarmed to nearby branch which I retrieved and placed into new Medium box with 10 foundation frames.

5-19 Two swarms in traps. Both 7' high in 10 frame deep. Central Okla.

Caught another swarm tonight. About 4-5 lbs. Rupert, Idaho 83350

Default Re: Has Anyone Created a Google Map of Swarms?

Bloomington, Indiana, 47403, west side of town at Baxter pharmaceutical
    Small swarm had moved to ground, pebbles etc, from a low lying bush.
    Placed a plastic nuc with some used frames on the ground and the girls just marched in. We found the queen but she was dead on the ground.
    Will attempt to combine wirh older hive to boost foragers.
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Default Re: Has Anyone Created a Google Map of Swarms?

Caught a 4.5 lb swarm this morning in Dasher Ga. They are in a new box and happy as can bee.

Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast