Page 63 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2340

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

5/30/11
    Troy, OH - I watched as about 4# of beees from one of my hives swarmed about 40' up in my neighbors maple tree. I put some more lemon grass oil in my bait hive, but they didn't move in.

Coinsidentially I got a swarm call from a home owner in Englewood that had a 5# swarm in a tree about 20' up. Hived them and they appear very happy.

5/31/2011 - 72704

Swarm moved into a bait box on my front porch. Not sure how big yet because I haven't opened it up. Box has only been there a few days. This is the second swarm I've caught off the porch. There must be an unmaintained hive nearby, as all my hives are new this year and not showing any signs of swarming.

Caught the largest swarm I have ever seen last Friday. Swarm landed on a small tree and bent it over. Swarm filled 10 frame Lang. half full. Swarm size I would guess 2 basketballs worth. 74964

Called out on my 3rd feral swarm this year. 6-3-11 Lafayette, IN cloudy, windy, 87 degree F.

Took my 10 year old daughter. She loves it.

Jim Taul

cuaght a 5# swarm that filled a deep and a shallow. on 5/3/11 in auburn.

My colony swarmed three weeks ago, May 9, 2011. Henrico, VA.

What's nicer than getting a BBQ that you've wanted for like 4 years? Watching a swarm come in from out of town and landing in your tree while building it! must have smelled my bee yard on the side of the house. I was happy to give them a nice home before the storm came in last night.
    6-3-10 Galt, Ca.
    I also picked up one on Wednesday night in Acampo, Ca.

My own bees just swarmed this morning. Middle TN. I was preparing to get a swarm out of my maple tree when they moved on off. I chased them, but couldn't follow fast enough so I don't know where they landed next. Then I checked on my hive. (I'm new at this, so I only have one hive.) Half my bees were gone. I didn't they they would swarm the first year. I'm not sure what would have made them go. The weather is extremely hot and dry here already, but they have plenty of pollen and nectar, and several close water sources. My top bar hive was only about half full, so they weren't crowded. I did see a capped queen cell yesterday during my hive inspection, but couldn't find the queen. She probably was already in the tree. I started seeing drone cells last week.

Just got my 4th feral swarm this year. 72 degrees F sunny after a night of rain. Clinton County, Indiana. Easiest swarm call out yet. Swarm was on a pine tree small limb that with the weight of the bees brought it down to about 1' off the ground. Clipped the limb into a box, duct taped the box and brought them home and dumped them into their new hive.
    I would guess 3 lbs.

Jim

Got a call from a condo complex in Hopewell Junction, NY (12533) this afternoon.

Reportedly, the swarn started as "a cloud" and settled on a couple of cars -- after less than half an hour, they all moved about 20' up a white pine. That's where I found them when I got there and did my bucket "shake and dump" job. After a while the girls on the outside of the box were doing the "queen's here" posture. Still, there were a few hundred that when shook, still continued to go back and cluster on the tree. I just couldn't convince them to come down even after climbing the tree and trying to brush them into a small bucket.

Can't understand the clustering if I have the queen in my box.

I will transfer the ~8# swarm from the box to a hive tomorrow morning. We'll see what the queen status is in a few days.
    Last edited by Mike Tuggle; 06-05-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Left out the size. :-)

Vancouver Canada
    My hive swarmed today managed to retreive it and put it in a 5 frame nuc box and later transfer it into a 10 frame lang.
    I would have to guess, the swarm was about 6# The weather was the first warm weekend this year about 24 Celcius (75 farenhiet) This swarm came from my first hive that was from a package April 3rd. It already had 2 deeps full with a medium added about 9 days ago. Didnt think they would swarm but after looking at the hive it could have been honey bound.
    Heres some pics
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...2/SAM_2713.JPG
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...2/SAM_2708.JPG
    Steve
    http://eastvanbees.wordpress.com

Salem, OR, 97317, June 4, 10am, sunny 70 degrees f. Unknown origin

Livermore, CA, 94550, June 6th, 6:00 PM, sunny/breezy, call from concerned resident of a swarm in her rose bush 3' off the ground, nuc n' shook!! My first ever swarm capture!
    Last edited by BeeGhost; 06-06-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: weather

Sunday June 5, 2011. Billings, Montana 59106. Received a call today about a swarm moving into a tree in a yard in town. Too late to catch this one, but my first swarm call of the year.

Took the day off to help with a BBQ at my daughters school, was rewarded with a happy daughter followed by 2 swarm calls.
    Lodi, CA 95240
    &
    Stockton, CA 95214

Thankfully I had extra equipment on board, the Stockton one turned out to be 2 swarms. So today was a GREAT day!

C2

Tuesday June 7, Billings, Montana 59106. received two swarm calls, too late for the first, but successful with the second. We have been cold and rainy for the past month. Then Friday nice and sunny but windy about 70 degrees then Saturday calm and about 80, sunday calm and about 85. Sunday I know of 4 swarms that moved. Monday, cold and rainy again, no more new swarms............

My package hived April 15th swarmed today June 10th in Beverly, MA. In the 70's with a new superseded queen. They decided to go 50 feet up in a tree so I sadly waved goodbye and wished them well. Not quite what I expected as a first year beekeeper.

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Lucky enough to get two separate swarms within the past week... first one maybe an afterswarm; about 12' up in a spruce tree, slightly smaller than a volleyball. Weather was dry, sunny and 80'F after a new record of 97'F earlier in the afternoon. June 10th near Pulaski, NY 13142

Second about 14' up in a sugar maple; not too sure on weight but the size of a large watermelon, or around 2 basketballs. Had to do three separate branch cut-down/shakes - and took two hours for them all to march into a deep with 7 frames and pheromone lure inside. Added a second deep at home to give the a little room to spread out... never seen such a large swarm. Weather clear, dry and breezy at 68'F. June 10th near Mannsville, NY 13661.

Some photos of the second swarm:
    Last edited by jhirsche; 06-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Popped my Swarm Cherry!!!
    Warm day here in Willamette Valley (afternoon sun andabout mid 70's)

Had a hive abscond (only started with two). Got a call from the guy I got them from about a swarm report too far for him to travel too (in my neck o the woods). Turned out to bea established hives under a construction office trailer. Got to go crazy with a buddy who also had never been swarmed. Pretty intimidated since there was only two feet crawl - ripped out two feet by two foot nest (comb only as deep as the floor joist). Wondered where all the additional bees were coming from and end up finding another hive two joist over using the same entrance! Did a better extract on the second one. Two stings (on my knee when kneeling down on the bee/gravel mix) on me, zero on buddy!

Getting into my truck and my wife calls - her coworker just saw a small swarm on her driveway trees! When it rains it pours! went out at 8:30. One shake and went home at 8:31!

Observations: Got alot of experience in one day....long...long day (built another hive as well for the Gals). Bees prefer when you give them a home rather then rip the ever living Sh%t out of perfectly good home.

Page 63 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast