Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2340

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

5/20/2011 East Liverpool, Ohio 43920 2# swarm had landed in the grass. We placed a nuc on the grass about 4" from them and was pulling the frames to spray with sugar water and these bees RAN into the nuc. We caught the queen and caged her as soon as they thinned out a little. Nice quick swarm catch. We waited and moved the nuc at dark.
    Joe and Heidi S.

Yipppeeeeeeeeeee!! First swarm today in Barry County, Michigan! All tucked in in their new hive~

1 swarm today,Zip 64083, Raymore, Missouri, it was about 4 lbs (we weight the bucket before and after).
    sunny this afternoon Temperature-82.2 °F Wind(mph) 15.9 NNE

Last edited by rkr; 05-22-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added picture
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

05/21/11, Hiram Ohio 44234. A swarm took up residence behind the soffit in the front of my house, just 30 feet away from the swarm trap I have in a tree in the front yard. The trap is baited with swarm lure (from Miller Bee Supply) and a small piece of comb. I had placed the trap there in part to prevent another swarm from moving in to the soffit like the one that did last year. I guess the comb and honey left over from last year are a better lure. My fault -- I stupidly neglected to caulk the cracks they used as an entrance last year (after they either absconded or fell prey to disease or parasites).
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

First swarm capture in 2011 for us was May 18th, Albany, New York.

A smallish swarm (3lbs by weight) in Kansas City, MO 64109. It formed yesterday afternoon. I went this morning and got it.
    Last edited by rkr; 05-23-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

Swarm#2 May23,2011. 70° / 10' off the ground. Boxed in double deep. Livonia, NY 14487
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

southwest ohio (butler county)5-21-11 78degrees outside wall condo.

Southwest ohio (butler county)5-23-11 74degrees sunny softball size in callers grass.

My biggest hive just swarmed. It landed about 6-7 feet high on a tree in my yard. I am so glad they didn't venture past my property line!

Question Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Bees will be bees... 3 weeks ago I put up a swarm trap. Within minutes, the crew showed up to measure... stuck around for a couple of hours and then nothing.

Today, the second sunny day after a week or so of rain, I went out and checked the box. Cleaned out a mouse nest and re-baited it with LGO. As I was hanging it up a couple of girls were hovering around waiting for me to finish.

Went off to do some business and when I got home there was "traffic" at the box. I have gone out several times and it looks like a lot more than scouts. I think I have a swarm.
    Last edited by Mike Tuggle; 05-26-2011 at 09:14 AM.

5/25/2011
    Lisbon, Ohio 44432
    3# swarm low in an apple tree. I recieved the call around 3:30 in the afternoon. Shook them into a nuc box. No ladder needed, just the way I like them.

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

May 25th - late in the afternoon - I stood in front of my hives and watched a swarm begin right before my eyes...so late in the day I was surprised...like most of my other swarms, they went up into a tall tree behind the bee yard, too high to recover them.

May 26th, 3:00 P.M. Murfreesboro, TN 37130, Large swarm in a small Bradford Pear tree, three feet off the ground. Easy catch.

May 27th, 2011
    East Liverpool, Ohio 43920

Large 5-6# swarm low in a tree. Not more than 5' off the ground. Shook them into a medium hive body, the bees filled this box. We spotted the queen on the tree, and every time we attempted to use the queen clip and catch her she took flight 6 to 8 times this happened. I got a little impatient and misted the box with sugar water and the misted the bees clustered on the tree with sugar water and gave them a good shake and this time she went to the box. We spotted her on top of the frames and used the queen clip and caged her until tomorrow.

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

Smile Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First swarm call of the year that wasn't a cutout. Large primary swarm in Hyde Park, NY, from a hollow maple 40' away from where it settled in a blue spruce.

I weighed my boxes and my vacuum before and after -- this was a 15# wonder.

I got most last night but went back this morning for 6# more! Homeowners want me to come back and do a trap out on the tree in a couple of weeks.

5-28-2011
    Menomonee Falls, Wis (S.E. WIS.)
    Received a swarm in the bait supers on the back porch. Not real big. Last years had a marked queen from that year.
    Our production colonies are only showing minor swarm indicators.

Crazy Roland

I noticed the swarm late this afternoon (5/30). We're on the east end of Long Island. This was our own hive that chose to swarm . We're VERY new bee keepers. I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. Details will be on another thread.
    Last edited by kpalermo; 05-30-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: wanted to finish the tale

5/30/2011
    Wellsville Ohio 43968
    3-4# swarm

We got a phone call about 8:00 PM about a basketball size swarm under a picnic table. 3-4# of bees.
    When I asked the homeowner where are you at? She replied inside the house we don't want to get stung. I chuckled and said I meant, what is you address?
    She laughed and gave me the street address.
    Sure enough it was a basketball size swarm like she stated. We placed a hive body underneath with half the frames out, then I slowly lifted the table and then dropped it about six inches from the ground. The bees dropped right in.
    Two cruisers came by and checked us out. I guess three guys all in white with veils over our faces looked somewhat suspicious in this area of town.

Nighttime beekeeping takes on a whole different look. The use of a flashlight attracts bees, as does the interior lights when the truck door was left open. DAMHIKT

We left around 9 PM and by the time I took them to my Dads bee yard and came home it was 11:00 PM. Past my bedtime.
    Most fun we've had in awhile with all three generations of beekeepers working together to collect this swarm. My Dad, My Son, and My self.
    Last edited by jhs494; 05-31-2011 at 05:17 AM.
    Joe and Heidi S.

I got a swarm call this morning. 2nd swarm call this year. 1st call was three weeks ago. This swarm was probably about 3 to 4 lbs. Today was the 2nd day of nice weather after many long rainy days in a row.

Jim

Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast