Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1766

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

medium swarm 76520

4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - captured with my son.
    4-20-13, Galt, 95632 - had to pass because I had left town for an afternoon with my family.
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240 - had to pass (see previous reason)
    4-20-13, Stockton, zip unknown - had to pass...
    4-20-13, Lodi, 95240, extraction call, might follow up on this one.

C2
    Last edited by Batman; 04-22-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling

April 7, 2013 Zip 78645 basketball sized swarm in a small oak tree in a lady's front yard. Sorry I'm late with this.... forgot to post at the time.

April 18, 2013 83616 Football sized swarm in fruit tree in neighbor's yard.

I am in central Tucson, AZ where the weather has been 80's to low 90's, of course not much rain/humidity to say the least. Have had 4 swarms on large garden property in the past week! Hived one, other 3 moved on. 4/23/13

04/22/13 two more swarms today

I went to one of my yards today. It only has two hives. Last week I inspected both and one looked as if it had already swarmed. It had tons of bees still but I couldn't find the queen. It had plenty of swarm cells but I may have killed them trying to find the queen?
    The other had swarm cells as well. I found the queen and took her and some brood/honey/pollen for a split. As I was putting her in a nuc I could hear her piping. I hope it is mated but that is unlikely from the reading I've done.
    I went today to look at the 3 swarm traps I have there. I decided one was in a poor location. I took it down and was trying to figure out another location. I saw smallish gum tree that was about 40' from the hives. I don't like to put them this close but I walked over to it and was about to hang it. I looked down at a bush about 2' from the tree and there was a swarm at the base of this bush. If I had to guess I'd say it is enough to cover 3-4 deep frames. I am almost sure it is an after swarm. I saw the queen after I shook the bees into a deep I keep on my truck full of frames of foundation. She was walking around on top of the frames and once in a while would go in between but then come up again. I tried to shoo her down and she started flying around. She may have landed in the pile that was still on the ground but I don't know.
    I took a frame of brood from the hive that I think swarmed and placed it in the box that I shook the swarm into and took it back to the house.
    Hopefully they will stay-it's been a slow year for me & swarm catching.
    Zip

Two yesterday - 98648 and 98607 (Stevenson and Washougal WA). Volleyball sized each. Another in downtown Camas, WA today, little smaller.

Very early this year!

6th one this year, 75078

3-24-13, Lodi, 95240 I'd say almost 4#, 17 feet up. Guess it's off to the store for a new limb cutter since my dad has mine and I'll take them down in the AM.

C2

4/25/13. 3 LB swarm caught and relocated. 18 in off the ground. quick catch. VA 24014

Saw one fly by on 4/22 while sitting in my car at a light, Woodland, CA.

Two swarms within two blocks of my house between noon and 4 PM. IN between capturing these two swarms I bid a cut out for an apartment complex. The bees have gotten busy.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Got one today about 2:30 a foot off the ground in a bush - about 4 pounds I would guess. Very well behaved.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Got one today about 2:30 a foot off the ground in a bush - about 4 pounds I would guess. Very well behaved.
    was it one of yours david?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I forgot about posting swarm dates here. My very first swarm was Apr 3, 2013 around 1:30ish near Greer, SC 29651. I'm not sure if these were my bees or not. My husband was on the back deck when the back yard got thick with bees. He seems to thing they are stranger bees, attracted to the boxes we had just split a week before. I was at the grocery store getting deli ham when he called me and said, Ah, I think your bees are swarming. I said, Naw! I split them so they wouldn't. Anyway, it was exciting. By the time I got home, they had landed in the dogwood in front of the hives. I made a video and put it on FB. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151468418787900

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    was it one of yours david?
    No, it was a call out of the blue - a honey customer's sister had it in her yard - no known beekeepers nearby. I don't usually have time to chase swarms and I'm not on any lists, but in this case it worked out. So far this year I think I have been successful at swarm prevention. Although saying that is almost surely bad luck.

Sunday April 28th, 22963 (central VA). I had a fairly decent sized swarm, early afternoon before a rainstorm. They may have been my bees, but darned if I can tell which hive it was. I recaptured them and stuffed them in a spare nuc box until I can get another hive ready.
    A nearby acquaintance also had a swarm the same day (which they lost).

47601 I got a swarm call yesterday. When I got there it was gone.

Saturday-swarm moved into a woman's house Thursday. Pulled back some carpet, cut a hole in the subfloor and vacuumed out the bees. Already built out about 3/4 of a frame of comb and the queen was laying.
    Monday at one of my outyards at the base of a 3" tree. Had to cut the tree above the cluster then below and shook the trunk piece into a hive body.
    Today at another outyard in a swarm box I have on a tree. Large swarm-don't think it was mine either??
    Howard

Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast