Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2341

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Mechanicsville, VA 23111 Swarmed 5/18 or 5/19 (partly sunny and in 70's) found them up in tree just above the hive...Beek friend came and got them down for me, so now I have 5 hives instead of 4!

two swarm calls today 04-18-2011
    weatherford Texas 76086
    Last edited by Jaseemtp; 04-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

I got a call today about a swarm. I went to the call and there was a large swarm about 7' off the ground on the limb of a dogwood. It was the ideal situation. All I had was cardboard box and I took the limb, shook off the bees and hived them back at my house in a deep super with drawn comb.

2 swarms today, sunny, around 80 degrees. one was around 3lbs and the other a solid 6lb swarm.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

another swarm call today 04-19-2011
    around 4-5 pounds 8 feet off the ground
    sunny and around 100 degrees
    weatherford Texas 76086

4/18 Murfreesboro, TN:

Swarm I hived on 4/14 and brought home absconded. There were probably close to 30,000 bees in that swarm. Bees were in the hive the first couple of days so they had to of left on 4/17-18. Never saw a swarm anywhere around the house. I have always in the past saw the bees swarming in the air or found them on a branch or bush. I normally check every day. Don't think I did this time.
    De Colores,
    Ken

4/20 McMinnville, TN:

Got a call about a swarm last night. Rained during the night and was suppose to rain all day today. Bees were still there. Around 5 pounds. Easiest swarm I have ever gotten. Put down sheet. Sprayed all comb with SW/HBH. Placed 5-frame Nuc under swarm on bush. Shook bush. 10 minutes later they were all in the box. It's nice when they are all on 1 limb, only 2.5' off the ground with a clear and short drop to the box.
    De Colores,
    Ken

4/14 Acampo 95220
    4/15 School in Stockton 95205
    4/16 Honda dealership in Lodi 95240

Missed calls thanks to work and overtime:

4/15 Extraction needed out of a pillar in Modesto
    4/15 Extraction out of a wall in Tracy
    4/15 Extraction out of a wall in Stockton
    4/15 Swarm in an orchard in Lodi (picked up and moved on)
    4/16 Swarm 6 miles East of Lodi (got call while at work, no answer when I called back)

I'm sure the swarm is gone, but the extraction are still there, since I'm working the OT, anyone interested in going after any of these extractions, drop me a line, I'm not going to have time to do these until July.

C2
    Last edited by Batman; 04-21-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added text

April 22nd, overcast day warm 82 degrees
    small swarm bout the size of a softball
    weatherford Texas 76086
    Last edited by Jaseemtp; 04-22-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added temp

Another call yesterday, 4/20. 6 to 7 lbs about eight feet in a tree. Very easy catch. Weather was warm, mid 70's. 93230
    Bees have new home out in pasture.

Got home from shopping around 12.30 to find a small swarm around the base of a hazel tree.
    Rushed to get my bee suit on, and get a nuke hive, but by the time I returned (only 5 mins) they had gone!
    Masses of bees around the hive from which they emerged, so maybe they went back having lost their queen or maybe they already had a destination in mind when they left.

Got another call on Thursday as I was leaving for work for a swarm in a Bush in Lodi, they had been there 3 or 4 days already. I went down yesterday morning with the famliy, GOOD size swarm. My son geared up in his suit so he could help me out, he looked like an astronaut. He got to capture his first swarm at 6 years old and he had a blast doing it, wants to know when we are going out again? My daughter was there and took some great pics without gear, which was amazing since she said she'd never go on a swarm call again. My wife said I had a lot of bees on top of my head, since that one mean swarm where I got hit 20 times, I had my jacket and veil on. When I walked over to the car's mirror I had the entire dome of my head covered with bees. I shook them all off in front of the hive and watched them march into the hive.

C2

We had another two swarms today, both issuing from the same hive, which is a shade unusual. They were both fairly small but one settled round the base of a small tree and the other in the fork of an apple tree. I hived the first and thought it had settled but when I checked half an hour later it had completely disappeared. I tried hiving the other by shaking 'cups' of bees into a nucleus. It seemed to work and the bees began fanning at the entrance and a lot of bees went into it. I left it to settle and when I came back they were all gone and I found them in the little tree where the first swarm had been which had disappeared! Weird.
    Third time lucky, I managed to shake most of them into the box. I checked half an hour later and they seemed to be back in the bush, but as it was the end of the day I gave up. Checked again an hour later and they'd all gone into the box! They must have finally got the message. I moved them to their permanent position and they are now settled and taking some honey from the feeder.
    I wonder now whether the 'two' swarms were in fact one that had split into two and that the first that disappeared had just joined the second. That could explain why they appeared to return to the first spot where I'd noticed the cluster that had settled.

Kansas City - 66209 - Tree hive, got there just in time to see them leave. Mild Spring this year, great early flow going on.

Here we go again! Just hoping for a relaxing Sunday but a prime swarm issued from one of our strongest stocks, the one on a double Dadant brood chamber.... we eliminated swarm cells a week ago from the top box and she said, 'There won't be any in the bottom one, don't bother!' (They are a very testy lot.)
    I shook the swarm into a nucleus box, went to all the trouble of shading the box and putting a feeder on them.... and went back after half an hour to find they'd gone. Didn't see them go even though I was working in the garden nearby, so I wonder if they might have returned to the hive, as they were running all over the nucleus as if they'd lost their queen.
    Anyway, despite today's heat it looks like we need to go through the original stock this afternoon to reduce all queen cells to one.
    Certainly is the most active swarming season I remember but I guess weather and the flow from hawthorn, oil seed rape, and tree blossom is quite considerable.

Set a trap 4/20 at a church that had a problem last yr.Got a call 4/22 from the super. Checked 4/23 am took it home 4/24 pm.

One of my hive swarmed today - 4/24. I live in Palo Alto California.

Had a swarm call today in SW Virginia. First one I have heard about around here this year. They were about 25 feet up in holly tree. Probably 5 lbs of dark colored bees. I got there in time to see another swarm issue from a second hive and fly about 50 feet up in a white pine. Got the first one hived up and went back after dark to collect. Had to let the high one go.

Had a hive of Russian bees swarm two days ago in Western NC. Was not able to recover them.

Tryon, NC 28782

Cecil Dowdy; had 5 searms on 20 Apr 11 and one on the 22nd. From my hives North TN on KY border. zip code 38549, Byrdstown, TN.

Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast